Chapter 2

Raven

Surprisingly Anita and I slept through the night without a nightmare. I was cuddled at her back while Amelia was cuddled against Anita's chest. Anita's arms wrapped securely around the small child. The peaceful look on her face told me she was content.

I look out the window facing us, seeing gray skies. The first signs of rain falling loudly on our roof. Anita stirs in my arms, a light whimper coming from her. I whisper soothingly in her ear and feel her relax in my arms. Her facial expressions relax from her brief frowning in fear.

A low rumble of thunder causes her eyes to fly open, breaths quickening. Amelia starts crying and it seems to distract the woman in my arms. "I'm here sweetheart," Anita says in a trembling whisper.

"Mommy, where's Daddy," the fragile voice asks in a choked whisper.

"I'm still here baby," I say in a soothing whisper, startling both of them. "It's okay, I'm here."

Amelia carefully climbs over Anita and lays on top of me while Anita rolls to face me. I hold them both in my arms as a loud rumble of thunder rattles the windows. Anita screams and Amelia and I both try our best to calm her. It was no use.

My phone, ringing on the nightstand made her look up at me, a small distraction from the storm. Picking it up, I see it's my mother. I answer her on speaker and her soothing voice fills the room. "Why don't you try bringing Anita and Amelia over here? The basement is soundproof and there are more storms coming."

"M-Mom," Anita asks with shaky sobs that turns into a scream as another roll of thunder hits. "Can you come get us please? I don't want to let go of Ray."

"Of course sweetheart," my mother says in a soothing whisper.

"Thank you," Anita chokes between shuttering breaths.

Thankfully it was quiet with the occasional rumble of thunder while we waited for my mother to pick us up. Amelia let my mother carry her down to the car while Anita clung to me, arms and legs wrapped around my neck and waist. Her body trembled against me, silently whispering about not letting them get her.

She jumps in my arms at the sound of the car doors closing and I wrap my arms around her, holding her close to me. "It's okay. I just closed the door," I say in a soothing whisper.

I slip my hand up her borrowed hoodie and rub her bare back. She shutters a calming breath at the contact on her skin and I kiss her head. I let my free hand play in her hair. Moments later I feel her body relax against me in the back seat of my mother's car as more thunder rumbles quietly.

My mom looks at me through the review mirror, surprised at how calm Anita was right now. Amelia leans over, moving hair from Anita's face only to reveal her sleeping. I look back up to my mother's eyes in the review mirror as tears fill my eyes. She just gives a light smile not knowing what to say. Anita has always freaked throughout a storm.

I was wondering if it was the pregnancy draining her energy. I know once the weather calmed down we'd make an appointment to check on her with the pregnancy. It wasn't planned for her to get pregnant, but nonetheless we welcomed it. I thought back a few weeks ago, when the storms first started for the season. My parents happened to take Amelia camping that weekend two towns away. We'd made love to distract her from the storm outside. That was roughly eight weeks ago and there have been other more recent activities.

I was broken from my thoughts at the halt of the car moving. I realize we're in my parent's driveway and Anita is still fast asleep. Deciding on not waking her with her lack of sleep lately, I carefully climbed out and carried her in my parent's house. Even my father was surprised to see Anita asleep through the storm.