Chapter 10

Anita

At the mention of me having twins, my thoughts immediately went to Avery. I remember how we always stumped our parents because they could never tell us apart. We would apply to the same extra curricular activities and if one of us got rejected, we simply didn't join it. We literally did everything together. There wasn't anything we didn't agree on.

We even consulted with each other before entering a relationship. She was the first I came out to and she was quick to accept me. I told her about my crush on the girl who lived next door, who at the time I didn't know was Raven. We would watch her from our backyard as she did yard work in her sports bra and baggy shorts. She was there for me when I came out to our parents and just as she was, they were quick to accept me.

Then thoughts of that night flooded my head. The way she was huddled against me after our mother was killed. Her lifeless body pinning me down as I struggled to breathe passed the blood gushing from my mouth.

Green eyes suddenly looking into mine abruptly broke me from my thoughts. I knew she knew what I was thinking. Her thumbs sweep away my tears and I close my eyes to her loving touch. Her lips delicately press against my forehead and when I open my eyes again, I realize we're sitting in the back seat of her parents car, parked in the driveway.

I look at the house nextdoor. Caution tape still crossed over the front door, withered over the years. I haven't been inside since that night. I look back at Raven and she gives a knowing smile. "Please take Evan with you," she says in a gentle whisper, caressing my stomach.

I give a relieved sigh and nod at her request. Her father helps her out and into the wheelchair. I grab Evan and we walk nextdoor in silence.

Hesitating with my hand on the door, I take a deep breath and open it. Flashbacks from that night echoe in the distance as I enter the room it all happened. Blood still stained the door and tears roll rapidly down my cheeks.

Turning away from it, I head upstairs to the room I shared with Avery. Memories hit me like a tidal wave as I stepped through the door. I walk over to her bed and the teddy bear id gotten her from our last birthday together, still laid against her pillow. I pick it up and the last photo of us together on her nightstand.

Unable to stay in this house much longer without the constant reminder of that night, I bolted out of the room and back to where Evan was waiting at the front door. I rush passed him and nextdoor.

Entering the house, I ignore everyone calling out to me as I lock myself in the guest room Raven and I have been sleeping in. I slide against the door until my knees are against my chest and break into uncontrolled sobs. I look down at the picture of the two of us and wished she was still here.

"Anita," Raven calls through the door with worry in her tone. "Baby, please let me in."

I get up after a moment and open the door. I don't wait for her to roll in and simply straddle her lap in the wheelchair. She holds me without a word as my breaths shutter from the calming sobs.

With her arms still around me, I feel as the wheelchair is being moved, but don't bother protesting. We're brought to the living room where the others were sitter with concerned faces. "Sweetheart," Charlotte says in a soothing tone, kneeling in my view. "Would you like to move to the couch and be comfortable?"

I climb off Raven and walk away to the kitchen. I fix myself a small snack and go back to the living room. I dip my apple slice into some peanut butter and sigh at how good it tasted. I ignore the conversation held the others and focus on the delicious snack.

I notice Raven watching me and she smiles lightly. "Can I try some," she asks with a smile.

I scoop some peanut butter on an apple slice and hold it up to her mouth. She takes a bites, humming with delight. "That's good," she says and I offer her more.