Chapter 4

Raven

I woke with pain on my left side. Anita was still peacefully sleeping on my chest and thankfully a nurse was walking in. She looks in my pain filled eyes and presses a button on the machine to give me a dose of morphine. She smiles sympathetically at Anita before checking my vitals.

She walks out and my parents, Amelia and Lexi walk in. My mother covers her mouth at the sight before her. Tears roll down her cheeks as she sees Anita is sound asleep in my arms. Relief fills her eyes as they meet mine and I give a light smile.

Amelia was cuddled in my father's arms, asleep on his chest and I was relieved to see she was okay, that they were all okay. Finally, my eyes meet with Lexi asking a question without words. She gives a subtle nod and tears silently roll down my cheeks. She comes closer, showing me a printout of an ultrasound Anita must have done yesterday. I smile through the tears and kiss Anita's head.

"She's eight weeks and they have a strong heartbeat," Lexi says with a sympathetic smile. "I made my friend who helped swear not to tell anyone about the baby. She was the nurse who just walked out before we came in."

I nod lightly feeling as my eyes droop due to the morphine kicking in. "Do you find him or any new evidence we discussed before I fell asleep," I ask in a groggy whisper.

"Nothing yet. I have those loyal to Anita's partners working the case and searching for him. He left his car abandoned in a rundown mechanic shop. The owner said one of his loaner cars were missing. So we're looking for him in a dark blue Nissan SUV 2019 model. With his advance on us we have a thirty mile radius from the shop with police check ins on every road in and out of the area. FBI is helping and they have their own check ins at a seventy mile radius from the shop,  in and out of the area. Basically he's going to get caught," she says with confidence and I nod lightly.

"Thank you for everything you've done and everything you're doing to help us," I choke quietly.

"Like I said, Anita is like my little sister," she says in a protective tone and I nod.

"Look into the company she took over from her father too," my mother says quietly and Lexi nods lightly. "I brought her lunch a few times and some of the older employees are sketchy."

"I'll inform my Captain about all this information. I have strict orders to protect Anita and her family," she says quietly and steps in the hall already on the phone.

"How are you feeling Raven," my mother asks with concern.

"Better after they gave me morphine and mixed emotional about what's going on," I choke quietly and she nods with understanding.

"It's late, we're going to see if it's safe to bring..."

"No, I don't want Anita to worry when she wakes up," I say quietly cutting my mother off and again she nods with understanding.

The nurse comes back in and with another hospital bed. "I was given orders from Lexi to bring an empty bed for you guys to stay. The chair in the corner opens up into a bed. I'll help set everything up so you can all get sleep," she says softly and I look at my mother.

She gives a sheepish smile and goes to help the nurse. Anita bolts into a sitting position, looking around the room before dashing into the suite bathroom. My mother goes to her aid while my father lays Amelia in the empty bed. He comes over and kisses my forehead. "Get some rest," he says in a soothing whisper.

I nod lightly as Anita and my mother exit the bathroom. Anita climbs back next to me giving me a kiss on my cheek before getting comfortable on my chest.