Epilogue III

Chelsea

And that's it. I'll never see her again. My one true love, leaving me for the army. For war. How will I cope?

Mom says that I'll be fine and that she'll be fine. I just don't know.

"Hey, you. What're you doing?" Jordyn asks as she kiss my head. Her hands find my shoulders and I lean back into the woman I love so dearly.

"Just getting some writing done. I'm just finishing chapter three." I inform her.

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah." I stand up to kiss her lips, slinging my arms around her shoulders and bringing her closer to me. This is where I belong, in the arms of my wife, who smells like smoke. "Did you have a call today?"

"I did. It was a really big one. I had to go in as the Batallion Chief was the incident control leader. It reminded me of when..."

"Don't say it." I shut my eyes and lean into her chest, holding her tight to me. That was a painful time.

"But... I'm here now. So it's all good."

"That doesn't mean I like to be reminded of the first time I almost lost you."

"I know, babe."

"Other than that. How was work?"

"It was great. I saw some fans and they asked me to say hi to you. They really enjoy your books. I'm sure they'd be thrilled to hear your working on a new one." Jordyn explains.

"I'm sure."

"Oh, I heard from one of my sisters that there are some TikTok edits of us. You wanna watch some after our shower?"

"Our shower?" I muse.

"Oh, I didn't mean it like that. Um, I mean, after we both shower. We don't have to do that if you don't want to. I'm sorry-"

"Jordie. Stop. I'd love to shower with you. I have no idea why you'd think I wouldn't."

"Oh, there's no reason." she laughed, nervously.

"Why are you so nervous?" I chuckle.

"Nervous? Me? No. Why would I have to be nervous?" she stammers, massaging the back of her neck, which is what she does when she's nervous.

"You're grabbing the back of your neck." I point out. "What're you hiding?"

"It's just... There may have been an incident where I was in the middle of a fight..."

"You what?!" I interrupt.

"But I was checked out by doctor and I'm fine!" she finished.

"Was it Doctor James by any chance?" I roll my eyes. Doctor James is a general surgeon at the hospital and she has the fattest crush on Jordyn. She makes my wife very uncomfortable and openly flirts with her. She grates on my nerves and I may or may not have used her in my ninth book that I recently published.

"Yes, it was." Jordyn admitted.

"Did she try anything?" I drawl. She has made several advances on Jordyn despite know that she is a married woman. Last time, it was a hug that was an uncomfortably long and a kiss on the jaw. I had the utmost displeasure of watching it. I don't think she realises that I am the wife. Everytime Jordyn tries to bring me up, she interrupts her. Very rude and I can't see her getting very far with anyone romantically.

Jordyn nods with tears brimming her eyes. She recoiled from my touch and hugged herself. Probably feeling weird after what Doctor James had tried.

"Jordie, what happened?" I question, softly.