Chapter 1 - The Unseen Gift

The sunlight streamed through the large arched windows, causing Gabriel to squint as he looked across the oak table at Tunklard's weathered face. Tunklard, though just in his fifties, bore the marks of a life well-lived. Gabriel couldn't help but draw parallels between his etched face and the maps of the continent. Each wrinkle led to a scar, branching out like the interconnected roads that united the four kingdoms. His dark brown eyes met Gabriel's.

Breaking the silence, Gabriel grinned and said, "Come on, Tunk, where's my present?" He had always disliked that nickname, but Gabriel's persistence had worn him down over time.

"With age comes patience," Tunklard huffed, a sparkle of amusement in his eyes. "You're one year closer to being a man now. I would have thought your new age would have taught you the virtue of patience. Perhaps we should rectify that in our next lesson."

Gabriel's sheepish expression lasted only a moment before he changed course and asked, "So where is it?"

Tunklard chuckled. "Fine, I suppose you can have it now," he said, a small smile playing on his lips. Gabriel's mind drifted back to when Tunklard had first arrived at the keep five years ago. Upon meeting his new tutor, he recalled how he had thought his features resembled that of a hawk—sharp and penetrating eyes; a shaved head; a tall, wiry frame. At first, Gabriel had resented being separated from his friends for lessons. Tunklard had been cold and strict, forcing him to learn. But as time passed, his thirst for knowledge grew, and every book he read felt like a few drops into a well that begged to be filled. He had come to look forward to their time together, appreciating Tunklard's intellect and unexpected care.

Tunklard withdrew a parcel from his satchel, returning Gabriel to the present. "Happy Name Day, Gabriel," he said, passing it to him. Gabriel eagerly unwrapped it, revealing a weathered book, its edges tattered from age.

Gabriel peered up at Tunklard, his brows furrowed. The cover bore no title. "What is this book?" he asked.

Tunklard's gaze turned distant as he replied, "When I was a little older than you, my master gave me this book. I have always wanted to pass it on to someone, I hadn't found the right person, until now. Each lesson was etched by my master's hand, shaping me into the man I am today."

Tunklard continued after a pause, "My childhood was difficult. Sometimes I questioned if the pain was worth it. But in this book, I found perspective. An understanding of what it means to dedicate oneself to a greater cause. It's not about religion, although individuals can find the same effect by having belief in religion and living its ideals. For me, it wasn't enough. I questioned everything, and that skepticism diminished my ability to have faith in the unknown. But this book showed me that, even in difficult times, one small act of goodness can change someone's life and restore your own faith. It can help you find your place in the world. Perhaps that's why I find myself teaching a spoiled brat like you. Hoping, that you can do some good where I couldn't."

Tunklard's expression transformed from nostalgic to sorrowful. He had never spoken so openly about his past, and Gabriel suddenly realized how little he knew about the man's life before arriving at the castle. He once asked Tunklard about the scars on his face, but his tutor simply replied, "My past is my own. I do not care to discuss it."

Tunklard wasn't a sentimental man—or so Gabriel had believed until now. They had grown closer over the years, yet Gabriel hadn't expected Tunklard to reveal so much in this conversation. This gesture showed that Tunklard wanted to pass something on to him, and how much he meant to his tutor.

Gabriel felt overwhelmed by the weight of it all. "I can't. It's too much." Looking down at the book in his hands, he wondered at the lessons that lived within its pages.