Chapter 3 - A Trial by Steel

The morning sun cast a golden hue upon the training yard as Gabriel stood amidst the clangor of steel and the boisterous laughter of armored men. Where warriors celebrated strength and skill whilst honing their abilities. Where I feel like an outsider.

As he entered the yard, anxiety coursed through his veins. Mocking glances greeted him from the seasoned and battle-hardened warriors. Among them, his elder brothers Artus and Leoman stood tall, each wielding a sword. Gabriel felt a stark contrast to them on this sandy field. Other familiar faces dotted the grounds: nobles, soldiers, and guardsmen. The only encouragement came from his friend Lovren, who stood by his side, well aware of the challenges that lay ahead.

"So, you fancy yourself a warrior now," scoffed Artus, to which Gabriel offered no response, knowing it was the last way he wanted to be perceived.

"He won't last the day," Leoman chimed in, echoing his brother's sentiment.

"If he fails, Father will probably allow us to whip him," Artus said. A sneer curling on his lips.

A sickening feeling enveloped Gabriel's gut. Surely, they won't whip me.

The master-at-arms, a stern and imposing figure named Ser Rodrick, stepped forward, his eyes fixed on Gabriel. "Boy, on these grounds, you are no prince. All men, carrying a sword, are judged by their ability to defend their brothers in arms," he said. "While many doubt your ability, today and every other day you step on these sacred sands, you have the chance to prove them wrong."

Ser Rodrick's reputation as a fair yet demanding instructor preceded him, earning him the respect of even the noblest of warriors.

"I will do what I can, Ser Rodrick," Gabriel responded with determination.

"No, boy, you will do more than that. You will train, you will bleed, and you will fight," Ser Rodrick said, his voice commanding obedience. Gabriel nodded resolutely, accepting the challenge laid before him.

The master-at-arms scoffed, clearly unimpressed. "Lovren, come here,". His friend approached; his movements filled with uncertainty. "You will spar with Gabriel, and you will hold nothing back. Do you hear?"

"Aye, Ser." Lovren wore a sympathetic expression, as if conveying his regret for what was to come. Aware of the scrutinizing eyes upon him, Gabriel understood he was the source of their amusement.

Lovren retrieved a training sword from the rack, his movements displaying a practiced ease. Gabriel fumbled with his weapon, struggling to find a comfortable grip.

The tension in the air mounted as Ser Rodrick bellowed, "Begin."

Lovren swung his sword, executing precise strikes, while Gabriel clumsily attempted to block and parry. The spar continued, Lovren alternating between measured strikes and slower attacks to allow Gabriel a chance to respond. Gabriel, however, refrained from actively engaging, focusing solely on defense.

"Lovren, do not hold back. Do not lose the respect of your sword brothers," Ser Rodrick said. A flicker of hesitation passed through Lovren's eyes, too swift for Gabriel to fully grasp, before his friend changed his stance and attacked with genuine force. Gabriel struggled to avoid the blows, his sword skittering across the sand with each collision. The surrounding warriors sneered, reveling in Gabriel's feeble attempts.

After Ser Rodrick commanded him to pick up the fallen sword, he bellowed, "Again." The cycle continued, with Gabriel either dropping his sword or enduring the punishing blows from Lovren. Laughter erupted, mocking his every mistake, intensifying their ridicule. I will not yield.