Chapter 3. Siblings

Art mine, that's why it sucks :D You'll get an explanation to what the picture is supposed to be later in the chapter.

Edit: The picture didn't show at first for some reason. Now it should be there.

--------------

"Kai... time to wake up."

Kai awoke to the feeling of Nya poking his arm. He muttered something under his breath and simply turned to lie on his other side, facing the little blond slumbering beside him.

"Kai, Lloyd, we need to hurry," Nya ordered. She then seemingly started shaking Lloyd. "Little L, wakey wakey."

"Mamama..." the 4-year-old Lloyd mumbled and wriggled in his sleep.

"Lloyd, time to get up!" Nya shouted.

Kai nearly allowed himself to drift off to his lands of slumber again, being able to already feel the comfort he experienced in his sleep. However, he didn't quite reach that state since the next thing he felt was Lloyd landing on top of him, squeezing a grunt out of him.

"Whoopsie," Lloyd whispered and crawled off of his brother.

Well, at least Kai was awake now. With a sigh, he got up to start getting ready like Nya was already.

Not a lot of visible change had occurred during the last three years the siblings had spent together. No outsider could see a lot of difference, but that did not mean absolutely nothing had changed. In fact, life had improved a little for Kai and Nya since Little Lloyd had joined their sibling squad. He was definitely the small candle shining through the dark and always made his older siblings feel better. That was, whenever Gargoyle was not around. Ever since he had come, they had cared for him in every single way, from dealing with his chronically runny nose to taking the blame for him whenever he'd done anything to anger Rita. In return, Lloyd always delighted the two with some of his silly antics and sudden cuddles.

The siblings all got ready and dressed, the older ones helping the youngling. Lloyd's ankles were always sore in the morning, so it was difficult for him to move around. For that very reason, it was usually Kai who dressed him up in his one and only attire: a green sweatshirt and green shorts. Those were the only clothes Lloyd owned as Rita still believed in her One Attire -policy.

This morning, Nya was in charge of breakfast while Kai went to feed the dogs. Lloyd was never asked to do anything with the dogs since, it turned out, he was allergic to them. That was the sole reason he was always rubbing his eyes and had a runny nose.

Did Rita do anything about it, though? No. She just told Lloyd to suck it up and be a man.

Therefore, in the morning, Lloyd was normally put to sit on a stool and occasionally hand different things to his siblings or taste test the food, the latter being his favorite job. He wasn't exactly helpful with housework anyway and required a lot of Kai and Nya's time, but the two loved taking care of him.

"Sugar, Cotton," Kai called out as he entered the dog's territory. "Food."

The two dogs didn't react much but lazily lay on the soft couch at the back of the room, just watching as Kai poured food into their bowls. Kai was a little confused over the dogs' behavior since they usually bolted to fill their stomachs with that overpriced dog food, but now it seemed to be the least of their interests.

However, soon both of the dogs suddenly shot up and ran out into the kitchen. Upon hearing a shriek right afterwards, Kai sprang over to find the dogs basically jumping against the stool Lloyd was sitting on. Nya, who was now trying to push the dogs away, had given Lloyd a steamed bun to taste test.