Chapter 6. Found Pt. 2

"Did you get the girl?"

"Yes, she's here!"

"Are there any more people down there?"

Lloyd's eyelids fluttered open for exactly one second before they became too heavy to hold open.

"My brother… please… help my brother…"

'Kai…' Lloyd thought dazedly, wondering where his brother was. His head was pounding and he felt weak.

"There's a little boy down here!"

"Is he alive?"

"I don't know."

Lloyd felt himself being pulled out of wherever it was he'd been stuck in, and was then picked up by… someone. He was carried somewhere by, again, someone. All he could tell aside from that was that he was extremely cold despite being thoroughly wrapped in what felt like a blanket. 

"Does he have a pulse? Have you checked if he's alive? Is he breathing?"

"I don't know. His feet are really cold."

"Get him into the ambulance."

"Lloyd!"

The final voice belonged to Kai. Why did he sound so scared?

Lloyd tried to move or open his eyes, but it felt as though something was forcing him to stay dead still. Something very sticky was keeping his eyelids together and the coldness had frozen his limbs. He tried to at least stay awake, but the second he felt himself being handed to another person, darkness consumed him again.

🍀•🍀•🍀

Lloyd was extremely tired, very dizzy and ridden with shock from the incident, but was simultaneously astonished. 

Having awoken in what he assumed to be a small hospital in the village nearest to their home, the little blond found himself quite confused over everything he saw. Everything was so unfamiliar and new. He was lying on a semi-comfortable bed next to all the other injured children and had all kinds of beeping machines around him. Considering the severity of the incident, he had survived the landslide with little to no injuries aside from cuts, bruises, a broken ankle and a fractured finger. However, that didn't mean he wasn't completely exhausted and a little nauseous. The same went for Kai and Nya apparently, but Lloyd couldn't be sure as they were in another room with most adults.

Lloyd stared at the concrete walls of the hospital, fiddling with the elephant plushie he had been given and occasionally making eye contact with the other children. None of them spoke, but the little girl lying on a bed opposite from him gave him a small smile. Lloyd didn't exactly understand why the girl was smiling. They didn't know each other and he had done nothing to deserve a smile.

The blond soon noticed a young female nurse walking over to him with a kind look in her eyes.

"How are you feeling, sweetheart?" The nurse asked.

Lloyd stayed silent. Why did she ask that? He had already gotten his ankle and finger tended to and cuts disinfected, so why did she care about how he was feeling? 

"You must be pretty shaken after everything you've been through. Poor boy."

Lloyd blinked and ran his finger down the trunk of the elephant plushie. He figured he was, indeed, 'shaken', but honestly couldn't be sure. It was hard for him to determine his current emotional state. Not that it was ever easy for him. He could recognize other people's emotions but not so much his own.