Chapter 7. Tour

It had been a few days since Lloyd had agreed to move in with his uncle. It was finally time to leave the hospital and travel to the Monastery of Spinjitzu, and Lloyd would've been lying if he'd claimed he wasn't about to explode with excitement.

Lloyd's day started rather well as his uncle, who he'd grown to trust a little bit, brought him new clothes. So far the boy had had to settle with the spare clothes the hospital had given him, which were very itchy and incredibly ugly, so he was beyond excited when he first lay his eyes on the new stack of clothes. There were some light blue socks, gray trousers and a dark green, softer-than-cotton sweatshirt with the letters NCD on it. It was the comfiest shirt Lloyd had ever worn.

"Do you like them?" Wu asked once Lloyd had gotten dressed.

The little blond nodded rapidly, barely able to stop fiddling with the sleeves of his sweatshirt. He was never going to take the shirt off. Ever.

"I also bought you some shoes," Wu informed, placing a pair of sneakers on the bed. "Your old ones probably didn't survive the landslide."

Lloyd stared at the shoes in amazement. Not only were they absolutely super awesome, but also his first shoes in a while. The last time he'd owned shoes was when he'd been around six years old. After that, as he'd had nowhere to go aside from the nearby river where he did the laundry, Rita had figured he didn't need any shoes.

Honestly, having shoes again was dope. They felt a bit restricting when Lloyd put them on, but were a great protection against the ice cold floors of the hospital.

"-And remember to be careful with your neck! Don't lift anything heavy or sleep in a bad position or..."

Lloyd stopped admiring his shoes and looked up to see Kai and Nya coming towards them with a nurse hustling beside them. She was giving them (or just Kai) last minute instructions. It seemed the older siblings didn't need any tips, however, as they were clearly trying to brush her off.

"-And don't forget to stretch your neck every once in a while. It'll heal faster if it-"

"Yes, I'll remember all of that," Kai interrupted, looking exhausted, not due to a lack of sleep, but the nagging of the nurse.

"Thanks for everything," Nya said to the nurse. "And I'll make sure Kai follows the instructions."

The nurse nodded, giving Kai a stern look before rushing to irritate another patient.

"Ready?" Wu asked Kai and Nya.

"I guess," the girl replied. "Thanks for the clothes, by the way."

"It's the least I could do. You've had to endure so much," the master said, glancing at Lloyd.

Lloyd averted his gaze, placing it on his new shoes again.

"Like your shoes?" Kai asked, coming over to the little brother.

Lloyd nodded, smiling.

"Did you even remember what shoes feel like?"

The little blond shook his head, visibly confusing Wu.

"Lloyd hasn't had any shoes since he was six. Rita refused to buy him any and eventually he didn't even need them as his feet got used to the sharp rocks and sticks," Nya explained.

"I see." Wu nodded, not seeming that happy anymore.

Lloyd bit his lip, wondering if he'd done something wrong again. He hadn't meant to make his uncle unhappy. Out of instinct, he slowly moved his hands somewhere close to his head, ready to shield it from the strikes. He kept them there until he remembered Rita was no longer there. He wasn't going to be beaten.