Chapter 5- Rowena's POV (A Few Days Before)

"Ugh! The Winchesters. Always with those obnoxious boys. " Rowena pinched the bridge of her nose with her long red nails and rolled her eyes. She had just come out of a spell that had been allowing her to watch as those horrid Men of Letters killed a witch. Not one she had cared about obviously, but she was a witch like herself and she knew her kind was going extinct already without them killing every one in sight. She sighed and twirled her red curls.

Bait. She could drop a false hint of a case. They generally jump at the mere chance of that. What's something they would pick up? Something they would surely notice at the scene and think was worth holding onto? Not a weapon-God knows they already have plenty of those. Money? Not good enough.

The Winchesters' weakness is family. Something that belonged to one of the few still living ones they loved. She could find a spell that would make her voice sound like that perky redhead friend she had seen them hunting with. She could drop a fake case, and when they show up call them with a pay phone using Charlie's voice. She could say she had got there and taken care of it but left something important there that she would ask them to pick up and hold on to until she could come by and pick it up. Cursed object planted, it might work. Worth a try. She smiled to herself.

-------------------The Next Day--------------------

"So get this," Sam said, breaking the silence in the bunker library. "Charlie just emailed me the link to a news story about a couple found dead in their home in Blackwell, Oklahoma. She said she's gonna go ahead and head that way but she wants us to come to in case she needs help since she's new at this."
Dean shrugged and stood up from the table. "Sounds good."

They drove for about an hour with nothing but listening to the ten classic rock tapes Dean owned for the millionth time to entertain them. They stopped a few miles before they got to the town at a gas station to change into their fake FBI suits. When they finally pulled the Impala into park outside the house, the real authorities were taking down the yellow police tape. Some of them were even getting in their cars to leave.

Sam turned and gave Dean a confused look. Still, they got out of the car, slammed the old black doors, and walked up to one of the officers. They wordlessly got out their mock badges and flashed them at the cop who nodded. "Sorry boys, you're too late. You're partner said she might be able to figure out the case before her backup came."

"Partner?" Sam asked. "Said her name was Agent Romanoff, red-head," the man answered. Sam and Dean smiled at each other. Apparently Charlie could handle this on her own. Just then Dean's phone buzzed in his pocket. "Gimme a sec." Sam thanked the policeman and walked over to Dean as he put his phone on speaker. "Hello?"

"Dean," Charlie said happily. "And Sam, you're on speaker," Dean added. "Hey, Charlie," Sam said, "Take it you didn't need our help after all?" "Yeah I just left, sorry I forgot to call you before you got there too late. But it's kinda lucky you're there. I-uh think I dropped my necklace at the house. I took it off when I was putting on my FBI stuff, and it must have fell out of my purse at the house. You mind looking for it and holding on to it till I see you guys Monday? It's just a silver Deathly Hallows symbol on a chain, but it's kind of important to me. Gift from my mom before she uh-"

"Yeah no problem," Sam interrupted, "We'll ask the cops still here if they found anything." Charlie sighed. "Thanks guys. See you later." "See you late kiddo," Dean said and hung up. He shoved his phone back into his pocket and walked back over to the guy they had talked to a minute ago. "Hey, before we go, have you guys seen a silver necklace that was left in the house? Like with a triangle-circle-stick thingy as the charm? Our partner thinks she may have dropped in back there."

"Actually, you know what-Seth can you bring those evidence bags over here?" A skinny kid in a tie came over and handed him a few plastic bags with random items in them. The police officer looked in the bags before holding one out to the Winchesters. "This it?" In the bag he held out was a tangled chain with a small triangle charm attached to the center, like Charlie described. "Yup, that's it. Thanks," Dean said as the cop handed him the evidence bag.

Dean put the plastic pouch into the zipper pocket of the duffel bag in the trunk of the Impala, as Sam made his way to the passenger side. Dean slammed the trunk with hidden Devil's Trap drawn on the underside before sitting back at the wheel. And with his brother by his side they drove back home, without a clue that they just picked up a cursed necklace that would have killed them if it hadn't have happened to be in a plastic bag. And they certainly would never guess where they would take that duffle bag with the necklace inside in just a few days.