one

Listen while you read - Me by The 1975

Camila decided that she hated endings the moment their small black car parked in front of the brick building. She felt quite small in comparison to the large structure that cast a gloomy shadow over them.

She knew that the moment she set foot through those large glass doors, it would be the beginning of the end. Before she had much time to ruminate on the fact, though, she was interrupted by a tug on her sleeve. Her little sister, Sofi, stared up curiously at her.

"Why can't I go on vacation, too?" the smaller brown eyed girl pouted. "Mami says it's cause' I'm too little."

"She's right," Camila nodded softly. She glanced over at her parents, who were busy unloading her bags out of the car. She hated lying to her sister, but the truth would only bring on another round of questions. And to be honest, she wasn't sure if she could handle them at the moment.

"Maybe one day?" Sofi tilted her head to the side.

"Maybe one day," Camila sighed, even though coming here was the last thing she would wish upon her younger sister. Hell, it was the last thing she'd wish upon anyone, if she was being honest.

When she looked up, she met her mother's eyes. It was obvious that the older woman was trying not to cry. Camila recognized this easily. She'd inherited her own tendency to hide her emotions from her mother.

"They, uh, they'll probably admit you up here," her mother motioned towards the doors. Camila looked down at her shoes before nodding softly. Her parents were just as lost as she was. None of them knew quite what to think of their situation. Her situation.

The family of four walked quietly through the doors, which dinged twice to inform the staff of their visitors. Almost immediately, a small girl in nurse scrubs hurried over to them.

"Camilla Cabello?" she asked. Camila nearly grimaced. She seemed all too cheery for a place like this.

"That's her," her father spoke over her shoulder when Camila neglected to respond. Sofi scooted closer to her mother, holding on tightly to her sleeve. Camila felt increasingly guilty for having to drag her younger sister along.

"It's Camila," Sofi whispered out quietly before hiding behind her mother's legs. Camila looked down at the tiny girl and gave her a small smile.

"My mistake," the woman laughed softly and made a note of something on her clipboard. "Avan will take your bags to your room for you," she added, motioning to a dark haired man behind them.

Camila watched as her father handed her belongings to the male nurse. When she turned back around, the woman was writing something on her clipboard once more.

"Welcome to Haven, Camila," the nurse held out her hand. "I'm Nurse Ally. I work day shifts most of the time, and sometimes Friday nights."

Unsure of how to respond, Camila shyly took the woman's hand. She was taken by surprise when Ally pulled her into hug. In a place like this, the woman's optimism was quite odd.

"You can follow me this way," she smiled, turning on her heel. Camila glanced back at her parents before following the nurse, watching as her ponytail bobbed enthusiastically behind her.

They followed a long, carpeted hallway until they reached a set of large metal doors. It reminded Camila of something out of a post-apocalyptic movie. Her shock must have been obvious on her face, too.

"Only nurses and doctors can open these doors," Ally held up a lanyard around her neck, waving a small keycard inbetween them. "Basic safety precaution."