ten

"Shhh."

"You do it, then!"

"No way! I'm not risking waking up Normani. Who knows what she'd do to us."

Camila's eyes fluttered open when she heard hushed whispers above her. "Wha...?" she mumbled, rubbing her eyes and looking around the room.

"Good, you're up," Bea whispered, glancing at Maia who stood next to her. "We're going to find out where Dinah is. Get your lazy butt out of bed."

"What time is it?" Camila yawned, sitting up and stretching out her arms.

"Early," Maia nodded, slowly moving towards the door. "We need to be quick. Hurry up."

Groaning, Camila rolled out of bed and joined Bea and Maia by the door. Bea glanced out into the hallway, surveying the surroundings.

"All clear," she nodded, slipping into the hallway. Camila and Maia followed close behind, quietly making their way down the dimly lit hallways. Camila nearly fell when Bea grabbed her hand and tugged her towards one of the doors.

Slowly, the girl turned the doorknob and peered inside. The light was on, and all three girls slipped into the room. Dinah sat on her bed with a book in her hand, looking up when she heard the door open.

"Took you long enough," the Polynesian girl laughed, running a hand through her hair. Camila raised an eyebrow.

"Every time I tried to come see you some stupid nurse would stop me," Bea rolled her eyes, grabbing a chair and pulling it over beside Dinah's bed. "Where the hell have you been?"

Dinah glanced at the two other girls and sighed. She pushed herself up in the bed, turning so she could face them. "It's worse than they thought," Dinah nodded once and rolled her eyes. Camila grew even more confused.

"What do you mean?" Maia asked, grabbing two chairs and sliding one in Camila's direction. The brown eyed girl quietly sat down and continued to listen to their conversation.

"Apparently they didn't think it was that bad, but when they took my vitals yesterday they were just like 'Oh shit, her other surgery didn't really do anything'," Dinah sighed and shook her head. "So basically, my heart is still failing."

"That's bullshit," Bea mumbled. "Why can't they just do another surgery?"

"They can," Dinah nodded. "But there's practically no chance that it would help anything." She glanced over at Camila, who gave her a nervous smile.

"What are they going to do then?" Maia tilted her head to the side slightly. Dinah shrugged.

"I need a new heart," Dinah admitted. Camila's eyes widened, causing Dinah to laugh softly. "They said I'll be pretty high up on the donor list, cause' I don't do drugs and shit. But it's still gonna take months. It's not like they just have a bunch of spare hearts lying around."

"So fucking stupid," Bea muttered and looked down. "I'll use my wish and get you a heart!" she clasped her hands together and looked up hopefully. Dinah just laughed and shook her head.

"Doesn't work that way," Dinah glanced down at the floor. "It's like... for me to live, someone else has to die."

"What if you don't get a heart in time?" Bea looked up. Camila could tell how much the situation was bothering the younger girl. Things like this were hard to understand for anyone.

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," Dinah shrugged, trying to keep the mood light. "I go into surgery tomorrow to put some shit in my heart that's supposed to help while I wait."