fifteen

"What's going to happen to us?"

Camila sat on the curb, shivering slightly in the cool fall air. Beside her was Lauren, holding a blanket around her shoulders and staring down at the ground uncomfortably. The other patients from their unit were crowded around them, their voices hushed as they tried to figure out what had happened. They'd been moved even further away from the building now, and all Camila could see was the brilliant glow of the fire from a distance.

"Well obviously you're not going back there," Ally laughed nervously, clutching her clipboard against her chest.

Immediately, Normani grabbed onto Camila, who had already grabbed onto Lauren's arm. The two girls exchanged worried glances before turning back to Lauren, who still hadn't moved her eyes away from the ground.

Dinah, winded, was lying back in the grass beside them. She had one hand pressed to her chest, controlling her breathing. She sat up slightly and raised an eyebrow at Ally. "You mean we're going home?"

"Not today, at least," Ally shook her head, checking her phone once more. "From what I understand you're being moved to a different hospital."

"You mean we're being separated?" Bea spoke up, crossing her arms over her chest and glaring at the nurse (who was only an inch or two shorter than her).

"Lucky for you, no," Ally scanned the group of patients. "We have other branches all over the place. There's a new wing being built on the one located a few hours away. It's not one hundred percent finished, but it's enough to accommodate us until... until we sort this out."

"What about our stuff?" Bea's eyes widened, speaking on behalf of the rest of the group. Everyone else turned their heads back to the building. A slow realization passed over them.

"We lost everything?!" Bea threw her hands down to her sides as tears began to well in her eyes.

Camila was distracted by someone nudging her arm. When she looked up, Normani pulled something out of her pocket and held it between them. Confused, Camila carefully accepted it, only to realize it was her cell phone. "What?"

"I grabbed it on my way out," the dark skinned girl whispered, glancing around the group to make sure no one was listening. "Are you okay?"

"Oh... I, uh, yeah..." Camila nodded quickly. She glanced at Lauren, who still hadn't moved. "I'm fine," she turned back to Normani, although she was unsure about the girl beside her.

"Listen up!"

Everyone turned to look at Ally, who had just gotten off the phone. She scanned the group, counting to make sure they had everyone before nodding softly.

"They've called in a bus to take us to the other hospital. I've been told it's a pretty long drive so please try to get some sleep," she slipped her phone back into her pocket.

"Dinah, Justin, and Normani," she pointed to each individual patient. "You three have to ride in the ambulance with Avan. Justin, you need your treatment. And you two..." she paused, glancing back and forth between the other girls. "Just to be safe."

Dinah and Normani both groaned.

"Bea, you're riding with me," Ally gave the red haired girl a soft smile. "The rest of you are on the bus."

"Oh, and Lauren, they said they're bringing a backup chair for you," the nurse nodded, causing the green eyed girl to lift her head for the first time since they'd sat down.

"It's fine," Lauren muttered under her breath, feeling everyone's eyes on her. "I don't need a wheelchair to ride on a bus."

"You're sure?" Normani whispered, glancing over Camila to her green eyed friend. Lauren nodded, giving her a look that told her not to push the question any further.