Chapter 4: Happy tears

Ricky's POV
It was 3:15 when I reached Gina's. I saw a silhouette sitting on the sidewalk.

"You know it's not exactly safe to sit on the edge of the road when it's pitch black, Miss." I held out my hand and pulled her up.

"Hi." She kissed me.

"So what brought me here at 3 in the morning?" I asked, wrapping my arms around her waist. She wrapped hers further around my neck.

"Figured we wouldn't fall asleep, so I thought we could go on a little walk."

"Sounds good to me." I shrugged.

I stared at her for a minute, just taking in her beauty.

"Well, if we're going, we should go instead of you just staring at me, weirdo." She slapped my arm, but I grabbed her wrist. "What?" She looked up.

"You're beautiful, you know."

"Okay..?"

"Just letting you know." I folded her hand in mine and we began slowly strolling around her neighborhood.

•••five minutes later•••

"This is nice." She decided after some silence.

"Yeah. Finally just some alone time with you and me. We don't get that a lot."

It was just then that I realized she was literally wearing a short sleeved shirt with no coat near the end of December.

"Here." I said, pulling out my spare gray hoodie that had the words, East High on it with Bowen on the back. "Don't act like you're not cold, I saw you shivering back there."

"I'd refuse, but I don't have any energy for that." She looked down and I pulled her in close to me.

"So, Gi, you excited to start Romeo and Juliet?"

"Yeah, and scared."

"Why's that?"

"You know, I'm still just sixteen years old. What if this isn't what I want someday? I can never take this back. Not the documentary, not HSM 4, not this."

"It'll work out, Gigi." I kissed her.

•••sunrise at the lake•••

"Thanks for bringing me here, Ricky. We don't have to be to Ash's until 3 in the afternoon. How about you get ready and head over to see me? Like, through the door."

"Sounds good! I love you, Sweetheart."

•••at Gina's window•••

"Ricky Bowen, don't you dare be coming through my window again!"

"Well I guess I dare. The front door was locked, so I at least attempted it."

I stepped all the way through, and then could actually see Gina.

"I've been expecting you." She said flirtatiously, stepping towards me and wrapping her arms around my neck.

"I love you a lot, you know." We slowly began swaying side to side.

"Yeah. I know."

•••watching TV•••
Gina's POV
Ricky and I were sitting together on my bed. I wasn't even paying attention to the show we were watching. I couldn't tell you what it even was. My eyes were closed, and my head was on his shoulder.

"You okay, Gina?" Ricky nudged me.

I hummed in response.

He sat up. "Are you sure?"

"I'm just tired, Ricky. I promise. I've never been happier."

I kissed his forehead, and we snuggled down into the blankets until we had to go to Ashlyn's house.

•••

"Ricky? Rick, wake up. We've gotta get going."

I touched his cheek. "I came to East High planning on causing trouble, being Gina 1.0, keeping my feelings bottled up. You always wreck my plans, Ricky. But you get me, and that makes up for it. You make me feel seen." But then one of my tears fell.

Ricky bolted up. "What's wrong?"

I chuckled. "You heard my cringy speech, didn't you?"

"Well yeah, but when you started crying, I couldn't fake being still asleep. Now tell me what's wrong?"

"Ricky, those weren't sad tears. I was just reflecting on what we've been through. You helped me get my fresh start." I ran my fingers through his curly hair.

"And it's true. You're amazing, Gina."

"Now really, we do have to get to Ash's."

•••Ashlyn's house•••

"Hey, my favorite couple!" Ashlyn opens the door, and let's the hand holding couple in.

"Hey, Ash. How are you?"

"Good, and how are both of you?"

"We're- we're good." Ricky glances over at me.

"Believe it or not, you two are first to arrive come in."

"Do I not count as someone to arrive, Ash?"

Ricky does a double take. "Nini?"