Chapter 8: Unintentional

Toge opened his eyes in a panic. Looking around at his surroundings, it took him a moment to realize where he was. That's right, he and Yuta had hung out, but when did they go to bed? The cushions of the fabric couch were warm against his skin; it was then that Toge realized he was still shirtless.

It had been an odd request from Yuta, but Toge didn't mind. Yuta had bony shoulders that were difficult to lean on, but there was a perfect spot between Yuta's bicep and shoulder blade.

While they were cuddling, Toge had the thought of sleeping in the bed next to him, but that would have probably been too much. If Yuta had wanted the blonde in the bed, then Toge would have happily obliged. Toge wondered if he had fallen asleep during the movie; that was likely. All the antics of the night had taken a toll on him by the time the first movie was over. Hopefully, that wouldn't deter Yuta from wanting to do the movie nights.

Toge stood quietly. The best thing he could do was wait for Yuta to wake up. In the meantime, the blonde would try to find Yuta's coffee maker; surely a server had one. Toge tiptoed across the room, only taking a brief break to admire Yuta's silent sleeping. He was so peaceful when he slept.

Upon opening the door, Toge was greeted with the smell of cooking ham and gentle hints of coffee beans. There was crackling from the kitchen and as his ears finally adjusted to being awake, he heard a violent popping noise. Was someone cooking in the apartment? Did Gojo really intrude again?

When Toge made it to the kitchen, he saw Yuta standing in a black t-shirt and heather gray joggers with a white string. He was so focused, so oblivious to Toge's presence. Was he making them breakfast? Of course he was; Yuta would pull out all the stops when it came to someone spending the night. A class act.

When their eyes finally met, Toge saw the shimmer in the endless oceans that were Yuta's irises. His black oil-slick hair hung to the side of his porcelain face. His lashes were long and thick, with no need for any eyeliner to make them appear fuller. The golden sunlight painted every crease as he stood unready to be recognized. If he were made of crystal or some other fine-cut precious gem, it couldn't capture Yuta as well as he captured himself. Every facet of him was glossy with glitter for skin.

"Toge!" Yuta exclaimed with a shocked expression.

"H-" Toge tried to speak.

Either Yuta didn't hear him or ignored it, "Good morning! I didn't expect you to be up so soon. You were out like a light when I checked on you this morning."

What did he check? Toge imagined Yuta holding a finger under his nostrils to see if he were breathing. Or there was the possibility Yuta checked his pulse; the thought of Yuta's touch causing a tingling on the blonde's wrist. Regardless of how he checked, at that moment, Toge couldn't speak.

"T-" Toge said.

Yuta's eyes briefly dilated but returned to normal. He definitely noticed that time. Why was this happening? Why, after an entire night of speaking, would he lose it?

"If you want to get dressed, you can. Uh! But you don't have to! I just meant if you want to," Yuta stumbled through speaking while cooking.

"Sh-" Toge tried one last time.

He retreated to Yuta's room and found the bag with clothes in it. They were nowhere near as casual as Yuta's, but they would have to work. The night before was the first time anyone had heard Toge speak. He knew that. What he wasn't prepared for was the progress to fade away overnight. He opened his mouth again but couldn't even make noise at that point.

Was that it? What was his body trying to tell him? Yuta would notice fairly soon that Toge wasn't speaking again. Would the man resent him for it? The possibilities were infinite. Only a few people would know why: his parents and Gojo specifically.