Chapter 9: Neighbor

Street lamps lit the road with large, pale yellow circles. Megumi gripped the steering wheel with both hands, tighter and tighter until his knuckles were white. He shouldn't have gone.

Inumaki-Toge hadn't realized anything he had done over the years. Why should he have? It wasn't as if Megumi was unfamiliar with rejection. His father didn't want him, his mother didn't want him, even Gojo had shifted his priorities to others. Toge was the last chance.

Megumi hated that he had to share the apartment complex with Okkotsu. He hated that he couldn't hate the black-haired man. What had Okkotsu done beyond exist? The taste of Toge remained on his lips, a flavor he would rather die than forget. It wasn't just the taste of acceptance, but one of victory. However, he was still empty.

When Megumi parked his car, he sat in the lot for a moment. It was only just becoming familiar. He had lived there for a little over a week, yet so much had changed. The only people the spiky-haired man saw on a regular basis were Itadori and Okkotsu.

Why did Toge speak to Okkotsu? Why was it him? Megumi slammed a fist against the dashboard. What was that new man able to provide that Megumi couldn't? Okkotsu didn't even kiss Toge - it was like he wasn't trying, but he had come so far.

Those holes in his wall. What were they from? Itadori had stayed silent that day, and Gojo dismissed them as maintenance damage. Okkotsu didn't ignore them. His vibrant blue eyes were fixated on that corner until they were filled and painted.

Megumi exited his car, pressing the lock button once so that the horn wouldn't honk. As he began his journey into the complex, he noticed Itadori's legs hanging from his slatted balcony. The pink-haired man waved with that same goofy expression he always had on his face. Did Itadori not know about Toge?

They all went to the same high school for three years, how could the man not know about the silent serpent that roamed those hallowed halls? Their worlds were so close yet so distant.

As Megumi approached, Itadori said, "So, where were you off to so late?"

"None of your business, Itadori."

"Fine, not like I cared anyway. Bitch," Itadori said under his breath.

Megumi groaned, "I was seeing a friend."

"You have friends?" Itadori shoved his tan face between the slats.

"Shut up," Megumi rolled his eyes and began to walk away.

"Hey, Fushiguro, wait up," Itadori said.

The pink-haired man swung himself over the balcony. He grabbed onto the floor of the terrace before dropping a few feet to the ground. What the hell was this guy on? First punching through walls, then doing impromptu gymnastics.

"What do you want?" Fushiguro asked.

"Could I grab a nightcap at your place?" Itadori asked.

"Why can't you drink alone?" Megumi asked.

"Maybe I just want to be around a friend right now. Have you considered that?" Itadori said.

A friend? They had only formally met days prior, and he was already asking to come over? The blood was still pumping through Megumi's veins at Mach five, so maybe a drink would help calm him down.

"Fine. But only one, then you need to leave," Megumi said.

"Sweet! Hangin' with my bro Fushiguro. Haha Fushigubro," Itadori smiled with his canines exposed.

Megumi blushed, "Okay, never mind."

"What? Come on! It was a good joke."

"Whatever you say, Ita-dork-i. One drink."