Chapter 26: Brotherhood

Yuji's scalp still itched from the color remover and bleach he had used. In hindsight, he'd probably used too high of a developer, but he wasn't a stylist by any means. Somehow, trouble had found Yuta and himself in the form of a large man who considered himself their brother.

"I got crab rangoon, spring rolls, pork fried rice, barbecue fried rice, chicken fried rice, hot and sour soup, egg drop soup, wonton soup, sesame chicken, orange chicken, and broccoli with beef. Oh! And steamed dumplings," Todo said with an eager grin.

"And you got all this for us?" Yuji asked.

"Well, of course! I thought I only had one brother, but then I found the second, that's you, Okkotsu. We're a happy little family now!" Todo began laying out the feast across the coffee table.

Yuta was still stunned. "This is happening. This is truly happening in my living room."

If there was one thing Yuji had come to accept, it was that Yuta could be a bit high-strung when it came to new people. After a while, he would probably relax—some liquid courage would help this situation. More of a social lubricant.

"I guess I should start with business. My name is Todo Aoi, but you can just call me Todo or Oni-chan, or ni-chan, or big bro. All options are welcome," Todo sat on the ground across from the couch, his head almost even with Yuta's due to Todo's large stature.

"I'll stick with Todo," Okkotsu said.

"Same here, but why ambush us like that? Obviously you remember us somewhat. At least, I remember you," Yuji asked.

"Ah, Okkotsu doesn't? That would make sense. And after our sweet brotherly embrace! But this time is different, yeah?" Todo delicately picked up a fork.

"Wait, hold up. Embrace?!" Yuta fell back on the sofa with a haunted blush.

"Yeah, your boyfriend was weird about it though. Side-eyed the whole time like he hasn't seen some brother lovin' before. It's called emotional comfort. You were in distress because of that robe guy, the big shot Geto Suguru," Todo let all the information slip so fast Yuji was struggling to follow.

Yuta blushed an even deeper shade of crimson than before. With a quiet exhale, Yuji knew what he had to do. He picked up a pair of chopsticks from the table, snapped them in half, then rubbed the splinters away with the inside edge of each stick.

"Thank you for the food!" Yuji said, taking one of the steamed dumplings and dipping it in the accompanying sauce.

The tangy flavor stuck to the roof of Yuji's mouth as the pillowy dough was crushed between his molars. The savory pork filling was chewy but tender, falling away with a single swallow. Chinese food was truly a taste of heaven on earth.

"Thank you for the food," Yuta said, carefully pinching a piece of the beautifully glazed sesame chicken, which looked like stained glass.

As soon as the bite entered Yuta's mouth, Yuji could see the joy seep into his bones. Yuji followed suit, taking a piece of the chicken. It was sweet and crunchy with a slightly salted batter coating. The blond's mouth watered, eager to take another bite from the sampler.

"The boss said it would be a good time to introduce myself properly. The thing is, I'm sure Itadori remembers me as a delivery man, but I am in fact a member of the yakuza," Todo said plainly.

Yuji felt his body freeze. The look in Todo's eyes was one of complete truth. That was a look Gojo never gave.

"Shoko?" Yuta asked.

"That's Ms. Ieiri to you. A fine woman like her is the only person I would accept as my superior," Todo nodded.

"I'm sorry. You're telling me that Ieiri Shoko, my apparent boss and co-worker, is a yakuza boss?" Yuta repeated.