Chapter 31: Two Words

A bowl of stew sat in front of Toge at the African Sun Bar and Restaurant. It felt a bit unusual to see the silver-haired man in Yuta's workplace, but it was heartening that Toge wanted to support him as a partner.

Yuta leaned over the bar counter, his gaze fixed intensely on Toge, who seemed oblivious. Was this what being a normal couple felt like? Or was it merely a facade they both hid behind?

Toge took a sip of the stew and nodded.

"Oh, thank goodness," Yuta sighed in relief.

Toge giggled, giving a thumbs-up to Yuta and the chef standing behind him, Miguel.

"Is he part of the family too?" Miguel asked.

From the other side of the bar emerged Ieiri Shoko, her long dark hair hanging tiredly. She was the silent employer who allowed Miguel to make most of the creative decisions for the restaurant.

"Nah, he's just with Yuta," Shoko clarified.

Hearing it stated so plainly made Yuta blush, though Toge didn't seem to react. The man always exuded confidence, something Yuta envied but according to Toge, he was making significant progress.

"Though, I wouldn't be opposed to it," Shoko added.

Toge waved his hands in front of his face, dismissing the idea.

"Yeah, I figured as much. You're a bit too high-profile anyway. Involving an Inumaki kid would be... challenging in terms of protection," Shoko mused, scratching her chin.

"I'm sure his family isn't that influential," Yuta chimed in.

Toge looked down at his bowl of stew and sighed, "Well..."

"No, there's no way. I mean, you said you worked for your family, but you're wealthy?" Yuta stumbled over his words.

At that time of day, the restaurant was empty, barely open since it was mid-morning. Most patrons came in around lunchtime unless there was a special event happening. That Saturday, there wasn't.

Toge shrugged with a half-nod.

"Rich might be a stretch. They are well-off, but it's not like the main family would support you," Shoko clarified.

"How do you know that?" Yuta asked, genuinely curious.

"They're business associates since they're involved in telecommunications. I have a vested interest in their company. The yakuza aren't just brutes; we have a lot of business dealings. Gotta stay afloat," Shoko explained.

Kugisaki, the newest employee, was working at the host stand. She was the enthusiastic type, especially when it came to Yuta. She had told him all about their gossip sessions in the walk-ins and games they played at work, though Miguel neither confirmed nor denied it.

"The customers are here!" Kugisaki shouted, signaling the need to act casual.

Miguel retreated to the kitchen where his assistant chef, Larue, remained. Yuta straightened his apron and fixed his hair. Despite the additional yakuza income, his job as a waiter and bartender in training was his cover. It all felt surreal.

"How many will be dining with us today?" Kugisaki asked.

Yuta began moving toward the kitchen, avoiding a glimpse of the number of customers he would be waiting on. He had only agreed to take the Saturday shift because it was in the morning; it meant extra money, and with Shoko there, he could learn more about the tricks of the trade—or trades.

"Damn it," Shoko muttered under her breath.

A jovial booming voice echoed from the dining room, "Ah! Shoko! The gang's back together, huh?"