Chaper 22: Connect

"So, what you're saying is Gojo is hanging by a thread?" Yuta asked, sitting on Toge's couch.

"Yes," Toge said with a smile.

To say he was glad Yuta remembered was an understatement. The black-haired man was wise to act as he had in the counseling session, but even then he wasn't discreet enough. Gojo hadn't seemed to latch on, which meant either the white-haired man was too busy with the Geto situation, or Yuta remembering was not an issue.

"You're meeting with the engineer with Fushiguro?" Yuta asked.

"Yes," Toge said, clear as ever.

The silver-haired man walked into the kitchen to pour a few drinks. He had thought ahead, preparing new alcohol for the two of them to consume. Rather than hitting the hard liquor as they had twice, Toge bought some White Claws in a myriad of flavors.

Toge retrieved the cans and brought them into the living room. It was odd seeing Yuta so calm on the couch. Every time they had tried to have time together, someone would interrupt. Of course, that time was always orchestrated, wasn't it? Gojo had his hand in their relationship from the beginning.

"I met with Itadori, actually. I learned a lot about the past from him," Yuta leaned against the couch.

Toge sat next to him, creating the sign for a question mark with one finger after setting the cans on the coffee table.

"That means a question, right? Like asking what?" Yuta asked.

This Yuta didn't know as much sign language as the previous one. "Yes," Toge said.

"Well, I learned that in one past I had abs. So that's pretty cool. But other than that, I learned that Gojo isn't the most observant. It took him two replays to find Itadori out. So, he is just a guy after all," Yuta smiled.

Toge pulled his phone out and typed, "I am curious about the ab part, but also that is a good point."

Yuta blushed, "Well, I don't have abs now. If you wanted to see, all you'd have to do is ask."

Toge turned red as well, typing, "I didn't mean that. But I wouldn't be opposed."

"Can I ask you a question? I just need to know something before we really start the night," Yuta asked.

"Yes," Toge said.

"The me before, the me you loved. Could you not compare him to me? I know we are the same person and all, but we aren't. I don't know the Toge that he met. Even if he is you. This whole time situation really changes things. I just want to live for myself like you said before, like I said before. To do that, I can't be inhibited by the past that you remember. From now on, I need to be the Yuta that you like, okay?" Yuta didn't make eye contact.

"Promise," Toge said.

"Good. Because I like you too, Toge. I was hoping you would remember so we could start where we left off," Yuta said.

"Y-you like me?" Toge stuttered.

Yuta shifted over on the couch, moving his face closer, "Yeah, and I want to memorize your address. So if there is another replay, we can see each other sooner. 'Kay?"

Toge felt his skin grow warmer, shrinking back, "Kay."

"In the meantime, since you know basically all I know, and I know all you know. Why don't we just have fun? I already called into work tomorrow since Itadori insisted I go see that redhead from before," Yuta said.

"Brazen," Toge giggled.

Yuta's face flushed, "Was that too forward? I'm sorry."

Toge leapt from his spot on the sofa, meeting Yuta's lips with his own. Unlike their first kiss, the one Toge shared with the first Yuta, this kiss felt received. The black-haired man pressed in, with the slightest hint of alcohol on his breath. Given time, that was probably how the first Yuta would have reacted too-they were at their core the same ocean-eyed man.