16. The Reunion

The first thing Meredith noticed as soon as Rexadan teleported them to their new location was the thick demon energy flooding the room. It wrapped around her body like icicles. It was no doubt Nyx’s demon energy.

The walls were covered in sparkling purple glass. No, it was more like the entire room was one giant purple glass, and they were trapped inside with the oppressive demon energy. She scrunch her nose as the stench of blood gagged her. Then loud cries tore through the air, as though this person was being skinned alive.

Meredith had no idea what was going on, but she had a feeling that Nyx was not the helpless one in this situation.

“Ultimate Control,” Rexadan said, pointing to the purple glass walls.

Meredith raised a brow. Nyx had mentioned that before. “Her demon skill?”

Rexadan nodded, his dark green eyes puzzled. “It’s… I didn’t realize it was this strong.” He paused. “And this demon energy.” He rubbed his temples, as though lost in thought. Then his eyes widened. “Shit… it can’t be.”

“What?” Meredith and her parents all said at the same time.

Before Rexadan could explain, two people came running along the hallway. They wore the same robes as those who had abducted Nyx. While one of them wore a hood over their head, the other’s face was exposed. She was a woman in her early thirties with long red hair and deep blue eyes. But those eyes were so full of fear that one would think the woman had seen the devil himself.

The other person exploded into a pile of guts and blood. The young woman began screaming as her knees caved to the ground.

“What the fuck?” It was Meredith’s father. His face was a lot paler than usual, with bloodshot eyes. But it seemed he hadn’t been nauseous like Meredith had been when she first teleported. “What the hell’s going on?”

Someone suddenly appeared out of thin air, standing before the young redhead.

It was a certain tall dark-skinned woman, with long golden dreadlocks and flaming golden eyes that wanted the world to burn.

“Nyx?” Meredith whispered.

Nyx took the redhead by the neck and lifted her as though she weighed nothing at all. The woman’s feet dangled, struggling to free herself. Meredith knew all too well that look in Nyx’s eyes. Her golden eyes dripped with venom and vengeance. And Meredith was certain that her lover wanted nothing but blood from this woman. She was going to strangle the woman to death.

“I knew it,” said Rexadan, holding his hands up as though to stop Meredith and her parents from taking another step toward Nyx. “She’s evolved. Keep your distance.”

Meredith raised a brow. “But that can’t be right. Ever first evolution is in two years.”

“Yeah, well, something must have triggered it. She’s volatile right now. We have to tread carefully. Her evolution is premature. It can be dangerous.”

“Well, looks like she’s not in danger,” said Mama. “So why don’t you take us back home? She should be fine, right?”

“What? No.” Meredith balled her fist. She had to pause for a moment to calm herself. There was no way in hell she was going to leave Nyx behind. She sighed. “You guys go ahead.”

“What about you?”

“Baba, I’m not leaving without Nyx.”

“Did you not hear her brother? That demon is dangerous. She could hurt you.”

“That demon is my fated one,” Meredith snapped. “She would never hurt me. Ever.” Whatever Nyx had evolved into, Meredith trusted that it was still Nyx. Her demon. And she was her witch. Nothing had changed.