10 years later - present

Freya Astor

I glance around my room, at the tapestries on the ceiling and the messy shelf of books, crystals and herbs. Who knew being a werewolf and going to a paranormal specialised university would entail learning basic incantations?

My gaze sweeps over to the clock on the wall and I groan. If I don't get up and finally get moving I will be late to class. Grumbling to myself I walk through the half empty apartment. A gift from my uncle: a lovely apartment near campus grounds. I put out a poll for a roommate on campus for anyone who would want to room with me.

I don't really care with whom because my uncle will be reviewing anyone who moves in here anyway. Apparently the new guy will be moving in sometime today. I haven't met him yet but Uncle swears he's a good guy. „Gentle" was the word he used. „He'll be good for you. Maybe he'll rub some of that quiet of his onto you."

Uncle has his heart in the right place but he's crazy if he believes anyone could make me softer. I brush through my dark hair and braid it simply over my shoulder. Stuffing my face with a rushed sandwich I look at my timetable pinned on the fridge and groan. Great. Combat.

The lie they told us in middle school continues. Oh, soon warrior training will be over! Wrong. Fucking bullshit. Even when you're 40 you still go there. Less out of need and more out of habit.

I roll my shoulders. Well then, at least I can beat some alpha-wannabe ass. I rush out of my complex and hop onto the passing tram.

For some reason I'm in a good mood today and I like it. I really should be more optimistic. Out of the corner of my eye I think I see a flash of pale skin but when I look it's gone. I shake my head and sit down on one of the benches. Might as well go through some of my notes while I wait.

Yet before I get the chance a train of loud and fucking obnoxious bastards walk along the path. And fucking obviously towards me. „Hey, freak, still no friends?"

My eyes blaze with fire and I lift my eyes to them. They're leader standing tall and bulky in the front. They snigger and punch each other in the shoulder. I take a deep breath. „Brucy" I say sickly sweet. „What would Mommy think about your happy hour yesterday?" He curses that I know about the drugs. „You wouldn't dare." He growls at me. „Go fuck yourself, Bruce." I say sweetly and bat my eyelashes at him.

Even as they move away I am inwardly fuming. Angrily I rip my bag open and in the process multiple note page and books fall out. With harsh movements I grab them and shove them into my bag. Until the last item.

A sketch.

My turmoil calms immediately looking at the drawing drawn by young shaky hand, yet with a shy determination I recognise. He drew this- drew me 10 years ago.

I hold the paper gently and slump back in my seat. I chuckle and look at the sky. Goddess, he was so small. So fragile. A little cotton ball that you wanted to protect. He barley reached my shoulder back then. The little thing must be 25 by now.

The fond memory turns sad and I snuff it out before my already ruined mood becomes worse.

I look at my watch one last time and decide to head to the fighting field. Some students are already there. In the corner there are a cluster of girls and I can hear the giggles all the way fro here. Great. Another new guy on campus.

I zone out when the teacher comes and I ignore anyone who tries to talk to me. All they want is a piece of my fathers power, I made that mistake once. Never again.

I can't wait till I reach full maturity then I will finally be able to talk to my wolf and to shift. The problem is everyone matures differently, just like humans do. The final stage can finally end between the ages of 23 and 27, there's no telling when it will happen. And yet at 24 I really wish it would happen.

I subconsciously step onto the mat. Same procedure as always: knife one-on-one combat when the teach blows the whistle. I don't pay attention to my assigned partner, another dickhead for all I care. If I fell like it I might nick him a few times with my knife. He's a werewolf, he'll heal quickly so no harm done. I'm known for being... the tiniest bit more violent than necessary.

The whistle blow and finally look up at my opponent. He is tall. Like huge, a good head and a half taller than me and I am tall for a girl. I'm not usually one for drooling over well built men... but god damn. His arms and that tight shirt of his. Utterly lickable.

My gaze finally goes to his face and I am greeted by captivating green eyes and pale skin.

„Cotton ball?" I hardly get out before he pounces, knife first.

- - -
Please consider voting and commenting!