CHAPTER FIVE

AURELIA FARIS BLACK

I stare into my reflection, turning to see my scar filled back. A ugly stab womb scar is still very much visible. Sometimes being nice isn't enough. I grew up learning that if you do what you are told and are always sweet the less likely you are to get hurt. It worked for the most part so that's what I simply did. I remember doing everything they asked me of even to extremes. I eventually realized this wasn't gonna get me love but just less hatred and I was okay with that. I would gladly massage their feet then to be stabbed again.

In a swift motion I cover it back up with a casual tee. As I walk down to the kitchen as I admire the gorgeous architecture of the house. This must've taken years to build.

I grin when I hear laughter echoing through the house. Alessandro is trying to cook. My grin turns into a smile, as I hear Nathaniel making fun of Alessandro.

" I can't believe you can't cook something as simple as eggs!" Nathaniel laughs, jumping away when oil splashes out of the pan.

" Shit" Alessandro curses as a droplet of hot oil lands on his arm. " Can you just do this, I can mash the avocado" Alessandro groans giving a pleading look in which Nathaniel deadpans a no.

" I can do it" I say, disrupting the playful tension between the two.

" Aurelia! You scared me, when did you get in here? You don't have to, I got this" Alessandro says as he attempts to crack another egg into the pan and sighs when a piece of the egg shell ends up in the pan with the egg.

I playfully nudge him out of the way, which I basically had to shove him out of the way since he didn't move before skillfully fishing the shell out with my fingers without any inconveniences.

" That's impressive" Nathaniel says, glancing at me as he seasons the now mashed avocado.

" Thanks Nate" I say without thinking. I didn't even realize when I heard a quiet gasp from him making me widen my eyes " I hope you didn't mind the nickname. I won't call you that again sorry" 

" No no call me Nate" Nate says now over the shock smiling ear to ear. It takes a second for him to go back to mixing the avocado.

I smile as I drop the eggs onto the plate. I watch Nate and Alessandro spread the avocado onto the toast.

It was peaceful and quiet as we made our way to the table to eat with minimal chatter between us. Well that was before Alec appeared.

" Pleaseeee," Alec begs " It would be so fun". He has been trying to convince us to watch a movie with him.

And before we knew it we were watching Spiderman in their private movie theater.

To be honest I was pretty into it.

We all burst out laughing when a funny scene appears.

"OH MY GOD" Alec screams wheezing mid laughter as he slaps his thighs and then throws his hands up in the air which made me basically cackle now. I can't believe this is the famous assassin everyones so afraid of!

My giggle gets cut short when his elbow connects with a very nasty bruise on my upper arm. I wince without realizing, immediately catching his attention.

" Are you okay? I'm so sorry" Alec apologizes before his face morphs into suspicion " I barely hit you.. Are you injured?"

I froze up, I didn't have an answer to give. I feel everyone's eyes on me.

" I'm okay, don't worry about it. I don't have an injury." I mutter sounding little out of breath. Fuck, I need to be more careful around them. They are practically sorrounded by injuried people since they run a whole mafia. 

No one blinks. They just keep their eyes trained on me. I let out a tense laugh as I try to focus my attention back to the screen.

The doors of the movie theater suddenly burst open to a very angry Hera.

" Aurelia! Why would you say all of that? This is so mean! You're so cruel," she screams as she stomps over to me.

" I- I what?" I stammer out in confusion and shock as I am in a accurate representation of a deer in headlights. She throws a paper at me. Everyone crowds around us.

' Watch out Hera Im going to ruin your life-' I don't bother to read the rest

" I didn't write this," I state blankly, staring at Hera. Why the fuck would I threaten Hera? The note is  making me cringe.

" Then who did? It's clearly you, don't lie!" Hera spits out. Alessandro inspects the paper.

" This isn't her handwriting and she has been with us all day, she wouldn't have been able to get into your room without you waking up Hera" Alessandro says looking up with an eyebrow raised making Heras face go red.

" Then who did?" Hera says shocked she touches her ears and tumbles over a bit. 

Hera leaves after no one responds. I turn to Alessandro,

" How do you know my handwriting?" I question turning my body to face him.

" I saw some of your school work from your old school" he replies without a hint of lying. I smirk before exiting. He's a good liar as I expected. Good for him but I need to be more cautious.

" Aurelia, wait, meet me in my office. We need to discuss rules" I hear his voice shout from the theater. My shoulders rise up and I change my direction to head to his office.

I knew that the rules would be normal this time, not like how Lara's boyfriend's rules were like but an unpleasant shiver still goes up my spine.

I open the door to Alessandro's office sitting down in front of his table. I look around, the office has almost zero decorations, just pure paperwork and a few locked cabinets. I nervously rub my palms together as I sit down.

Alessandro enters the office taking a seat in front of me. " Rules," he grabs a piece of paper " First no lying" he says with dark eyes as if he knows all the lies I've been trying to hide. " Second, we don't tolerate disrespect. Third, no relationships which means no boys.." he trails off " or girls? Third, we expect good grades but I'm sure that won't be a problem for you. Lastly never go into the basement". Basement? I didn't even know they had a basement.

I sit processing the rules. " Why can't I go into the basement?" I question him.

" Business reasons" he states firmly. Business my butt probably to torture people or some messed up shit.

" How long until I start school again?"

" In about half a week" hmm okay sounds reasonable. I'm not sure if I'm excited for school to start. I had a bunch of friends at my old school, just not close ones since I wasn't ever able to hang out with anybody out of school often.

Maybe this time I can actually make a genuine friend.

------

A/N- A short chapter, but tell me what you think!