CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

LUCIEN ALASKA BLACK

It's 8 am. Most of us are awake because of Grandma. She dropped a pan by accident this morning. I look around, Aurelia isn't down here yet. I sigh, everyone else but she is awake.

I slip away from the chatter. I'm going to go check on Aurelia, usually, she has an alarm that would go off around now.

I carefully crack open the door. Aurelia is awake, she's spraying on fragrance. The fragrant drifts up too high in my nose and I cough. Aurelia's head swings towards me.

" Light on the fragrance," I say, swatting the smell from my nose although it doesn't do much.

" Oh, you're here!" she exclaims. She twirls. " How do I look? Is this too much? Maybe I should keep my hair down." She babbles on question after question without waiting to hear the answer.

" You look fine," I say, taking in a long glance at her. She has her hair in a slick back and she's wearing an off-the-shoulder oversized sweatshirt, paired with loose jeans. " You look adorable. Let's go, grandma and Grandpa are excited to meet you."

" Okay wait, let me put on a necklace and earrings!" she says, rummaging through her drawers before pulling out a couple of pairs of jewelry. " Which one?" She asks, holding two necklaces in her hand.

" This one," I point at the one I see first.

" Are you sure? I feel like It's too extra." She says holding it out to examine it. " I'm gonna wear the other one."

I press my lips together. What's the point of asking me if you weren't gonna choose the one I chose? " Okay, let's go!" I say, playfully shoving her out of the room because I have a feeling that I would have to give her more unappreciated opinions.

" Should I know anything before I meet them?" She whispers nervously, now in a hush-hush voice.

" You'll be fine," I reply. I'm curious about how this will play out.

We walk sinuously to the living room where we seem to always be gathered.

Grandma is the first to notice. Her eyes light up immediately when her gaze lands on Aurelia. She jumps up and engulfs her in a warm hug. Her signature hug she gives to everyone she meets but this one is longer and more emotional. I step away, giving them space. I hear small murmurs from Grandma that are only audible to Aurelia.

The room has fallen silent as everyone watches this heartwarming scene unravel before us. Finally, Grandma lets go of her and ushers her to sit on the couch.

I glance over to Grandpa. He stays seated at the table, with a chessboard, playing against Nathaniel. Many of the older cousins are scared of Grandpa. He used to be mean but has relaxed with time, running the mafia hardens you up.

Everyone else is situated in their seats still, watching the interactions between Aurelia and Grandma occasionally popping into their conversation. Hera is nowhere to be seen but I just assume she's in the bathroom.

AURELIA FARIS BLACK

Catherine Black. That is my Grandma. I remember hearing about her every once in a blue moon back in the ring. Although it seems that she did have a bunch of haters out there. Mostly bitter men. It's not her fault that they are self-centered and jealous pricks. 

Grandma was super cool back in the day before she became a grandma. Although I think she's still in the transition since she looks hella cool still. She dresses sleek and classy. She naturally radiates youth. Her skin is smooth and lacks wrinkles. It's almost like Aphrodite personally blessed her.  

She's deep in conversation with me about her days of youth. She used to ride a motorcycle all the time before her hip pain made her stop. As we talked she made sure to stay with general questions for me, making sure to not make me uncomfortable. She mostly carried the conversation but it didn't seem like she minded. Quite the opposite actually, it seemed like she was reliving the memories.

" Oh and your grandpa." she says, a subtle red relaxing over her cheeks " That one right there." she points at him " Oh he used to be a grump! We would always butt heads, both coming from two different families who wanted the throne to the Italian mafia! Of course, my charm lured him in. He pursued me first. I hated him at first but then he started leaving roses for me, buying me fancy jewelry, and showering me with love. So like like any girl, I fell in love with him. Head over heels in love with him." She gushes.

I can see Grandpa gazing over, now lovingly making eye contact from across the room. I shift awkwardly as the tension is equivalent to them kissing from across the room.

Someone clears their throat and they finally break eye contact. 

His eyes shift to me. " Aurelia," Grandpa says "Do you know how to play chess?" he questions.

I nod and I walk over confidently. I would like to think I'm amazing at chess.

We play in complete silence. I play both calculatingly and sharply but nevertheless, he outsmarts me.

" So.. just like your brothers. Simpleminded." His face is stone-hard as he speaks. The room dives into silence. 

My face falls. Salvatore Black. The ruthless killer who led the Italian mafia to become one of the most commanding influential mafias, ruthless as ever. Even to his own blood.

I feel anger rushing through my veins. "A white-haired man who thinks he still has the world under his scruffy fingertips," I say slowly as if he is having trouble comprehending. " When all he needs is one small little nudge to his death. Continue to aggravate me and I'll bring death to you early."

He stares at me, with his lips slightly parted indicating shock that I assume is rare. The chair lets out an unpleasant loud screech as it gets shoved back when I stand. 

" Well, that will do it. An ungrateful brat, who thinks she can overpower the great Salvatore Black." a taunting voice comes from behind me. It's Hera.

No one responds when Salvatore says " Oh but she isn't ungrateful. She is brave and courageous just like her grandmother." His eyes are lighter now. All the bitterness from earlier was stripped away.

My features relaxed when I realized that he was testing me. I see Hera from the corner of my eye, she walks off, probably embarrassed. 

" Please, sit down," Salvatore says, his voice much more kinder now. 

I hesitate but I crack when he says: " I'm proud of you." A smile crawls to my face.

----------------------------

A/N- Remember to vote and comment to show support!

I hope you guys liked Lucien's POV. Tell me if I should write from more than Aurelia'sPOV.