CHAPTER THIRTEEN

AURELIA FARIS BLACK

I jump awake. What time is it? I fumble around my bed before grabbing my phone on the bedside table. I'm late, I am so late. School started hours ago! Why didn't anyone wake me up? I jump up, ignoring my morning jelly legs, and run out of my room. I run until I see whoever popped up first, which happens to be Alec.

" I'm late to school, can you drive me?" I blurt out.

" Oh," an awkward silence goes by "No school today!" he smiles, giving me a wink before hurrying away. Huh, that's weird.. so.. no school today? Why though, is it a holiday?

I shrug it off and go downstairs, maybe Nate knows what's going on.  I pause, I need to go brush my teeth and get ready first. I smell my breath and I cringe, maybe that's why Alec ran away from me like that. 

I do my usual morning routine before sprinting back down the stairs. My foot slips and I skied down a few steps. I yelp before I get a hold of the railing. I stand up, brush off the invisible dust, and sigh a breath of relief that the bruises are gone because if I still had them, it would be incredibly painful. I get up like the champ I am and I strut to the living room, at least I try to. 

" Heh, hi," I say when I see Nate and Matteo giving me the biggest side-eye. I plop myself on the couch between the two.

" Soo," I drawl out. "why no school today?"

Another moment of silence goes by, I dig my foot into Nate's side and he scoots away. 

" Well, we figured you should have a break, after yesterday," Matteo speaks up.

I frown " You know, I'm fine right? At most, Hera should've got the day off." This is odd, why would I get a day off? " Is Hera home?"

" Yes." Nate answers.

I hum in response. I lay back and looked between the two. " You two look oddly gloomy today." I inspect their faces, they look cold and unreactive. 

" I guess you should know." Nate sighs " When Lara first took you away, father was heartbroken. He loved the both of you very much, and could not comprehend that Lara would just take you and leave him. As a result, he fell into depression, it was never diagnosed but it was very clear. Soon after he took his own life. It has now been exactly 13 years since." 

I blink a bit, I sit and wait for the emotion to wash over me.. but it never does. I don't feel anything. I guess it's because I never had an actual connection with him since I don't have any memories with him in them. The tension in this room seems to thicken by every second. " Can I go on a walk?" 

Matteo and Nate take a glance at each other and I raise an eyebrow. I watch as they both suddenly start using sign language. I guess they don't know that I know sign language but why would I tell them?

 I watch as they sign: 'It's fine, guards are everywhere on premises'.

 I made sure to not change my expression so they wouldn't catch on. 

" Okay, just don't leave the property." Nate finally says vocally this time and I give a quick nod before hugging them and exiting the room.

I slip on my jacket as I walk down the hallway. I see Alessandro approaching but I don't give it any mind.

" Where are you going?" He questions, eyeing the jacket.

" On a walk." 

He freezes, " No you are not."

My eyebrows furrow, " I am." Why is he suddenly so overbearing?

" No. No one permitted you to go out." He says sternly.

" Actually, Nate did." 

His eyebrows furrow and I smirk.

" Stay right there." He punctuates each word, before walking towards where Nate and Matteo are. I giggle when I hear him murmur, " Those two dumbasses."

I stay still until his figure disappears before making a run for it. I do swift turns before I'm outside. For precaution, I continue running.

I run until the house is mostly out of sight and then I finally slow down. My face relaxes when the fresh cool breeze hits my face and my heart does too.

I walk along the road, making sure to stick to the premises. If they are so worried about me going on a simple walk, something must be happening. Even if they don't tell me, I'm not that stupid to defy their orders. I know there is a reason behind it, even if I don't know it yet.

I walk down the wet grass, still dewy from the morning, enjoying the sounds of nature. I admire the chirping of the birds, lost in my own little world. I don't notice when I am practically bouncing. 

Suddenly a feeling of dread washes over me. I don't know why but my gut is trying to tell me something. Maybe guilt? Guilt for not morning over my dad's death. My heart stills and I stop walking. 

I'm not feeling guilty. Not guilt. NOT GUILT.

I listen as I see a dark figure move from behind me. The crisp cool air suddenly feels so crisp it becomes sharp and cold.  

I try my best my control my breathing- A dark figure jumps out rushing towards me.

Horror looks me straight in the eye. My mind goes blank and I run. I run until my brain tells me to stop and in a moment of clarity, I remember about Ghost. I may not be able to fight but she will. 

I swoop to the side, letting the attacker struggle to come to a stop. I jump back as she swings at me. A glistening catches my eye. Whoever this person is, he or she has a knife. A knife- ready to kill me. I don't have time to comprehend it when she continues swinging the knife at me. I gasp when I feel stinging on my arm. But I don't give it any mind before I swiftly crouch and tug on her leg. She tries to stab me again but misses by an inch before going off balance. I take this as my chance to headbutt her in the stomach. I hear a deep grunt as she stumbles back. I take his distraction as a chance to grab her arm with the hand holding the knife, careful to keep my hand away from the knife and twist as hard as I can, I only let go when I hear a loud crack. Before a clink. He or she dropped the knife I pushed her forward, blood drips down my arm. I grab the knife and I aim to throw it at the throat.

Now I stand there with a corpse in front of me, in dead silence. I just killed someone for the very first time. I killed someone. I watch as blood surrounds the figure but then a drop of blood falls from my finger. My arm. It's wounded. She must've cut meI push myself up to my feet, I don't have time to dwell. I need to get this wound treated. I need to get back home.

My legs shake from the adrenaline draining from my body. My mind goes in and out of consciousness but no matter what, I keep walking. I feel my entire arm and shoulder burn as blood rushes down my arm, and dizzyness clouds my head.

I am going to bleed out.