Chapter 4

"Did you have any trouble getting out today," Robert asked?

Laura slid into the back of Helen Nash's Rolls Royce and smiled, "not a word. I doubt she even knows I'm gone, not that she would have dared say no to your grandmother for anything. Mother's been so busy packing she hasn't even spoken to me in three days, which happens to be how I prefer things," Laura suddenly realized they were alone, "where's your grandmother?"

"Oh, we're meeting her downtown."

"Where this time?"

"Who knows? She's full of surprises," Robert replied. He had been doing much better since the night of the party. Laura's advice to use his uncle's obvious attempts to unsettle him as fuel to keep trying to push himself seemed to be working. Of course, spending his days with Helen and Laura helped, too.

"Well, we've already been to the Museum of Art, most of the better restaurants, even an Athletics game," Laura suddenly gasped, "she wouldn't take us to the Met without letting us know, would she? I'm not dressed for the Met."

"No, she wouldn't do that. And she would never go in the afternoon."

Laura settled back in her seat and let out a contented sigh, "I don't really care where she's taking us. We've got two days left and I intend on making the most of them."

"My thoughts exactly."

A short ride later, the Rolls pulled up outside Wanamaker's.

"I thought this might be it," Robert said.

"What," Laura asked excitedly, "the tea room?"

"Undoubtedly, but first and foremost, shopping I'd imagine."

Laura's eyes lit up, "shopping? Together? For fun?"

"It's my grandmother's favorite thing, just about. Although if you ask her, she'd always say the ballet. Don't tell her I told you that," Robert said as he slid out of the car, then took Laura's hand and helped her out, "she'd think herself uncultured to admit that shopping was her first love," the enthusiasm on Laura's face surprised Robert, "you act as if you've never been."

"I haven't. My mother never brings me along."

"Well, you're in for quite the afternoon then," Robert replied.

Higgins had been patiently waiting for the pair to conclude their conversation before saying, "your grandmother said for the two of you to meet her at the eagle."

Robert nodded his way, then he and Laura went inside. The massive department store was bustling as always and the crowd was dense, so Robert took Laura's hand and led the way. They found Helen waiting beside the massive bronze Eagle, being attended to as she looked at perfume.

"There you two are," she greeted. She waved the sales girl away and turned her attention to the children, "well, where shall we start first? Rob? Laura? Preferences?"

"Mrs. Nash, I really-"

"I'll have no arguments, young lady. The four of us are going to the Met tomorrow night and I saw the dress you had on the party the other evening and it simply will not do. Your mother has impeccable taste for herself, but she clearly has not stopped to see what a young lady you have become and you need a change."

"I don't think she-"

"Your mother will have nothing whatever to say about it," Helen replied, "I've already told her of my intentions and she had no objections, or at the very least none she would have told me about. Nobody says no to me, dear. Hasn't Robert told you that yet?"

"I most certainly did," Robert defended himself.

Laura hardly knew how to respond. She was overwhelmed, "You mean... I can pick what I'm going to wear?"