Chapter 10

The balance of the hour long drive to the Bar W had seemed a much longer process than Laura could have ever imagined. They bumped and sped along empty roads, then moved onto gravel, then to something in between. Laura had never bounced around quite so much in her life, even holding onto the side of the truck didn't always seem to help. She did find, however, that the bumping around became more tolerable the longer they drove and there was indeed some fun in it with the wind whipping her hair around. It was freeing, until the last ten or so minutes of their drive in which she was over the novelty.

This trip was going to be full of firsts. It was Laura's first time west of Michigan, her first time seeing such emptiness, likely her first time riding a horse. But it was the emptiness that really blew her mind. She never could have imagined how little was out west having lived where she had all her life.

Philadelphia, New York, London, even Old Bridge had been so bustling with people, but out here... they didn't see a single car all the way to the ranch. Laura hadn't even seen another person since they'd been picked up at the station. It was miles and miles of land, a few houses... lots of cattle and that was it.

When they finally saw the Bar W sign, they passed underneath it and carried on maybe a quarter mile before Laura could see the ranch house. It was shockingly modern looking. The core of the old farmhouse remained, but there were two additions she could see, one off to the left and another jutting out back. A porch wrapped around the front and side of the house. That portion of the house was made of logs, the extension out the back had been covered with white plaster.

What really took Laura's breath away though was the ever looming view of the mountains jutting out behind the house. They were quite a sight, though miles away. Laura had never seen anything like them and she was in awe just the way Robert had told her she would be.

"You come here every summer?"

"Ever since I can remember," Robert replied.

"We're here," Clark said. He parked, hopped out and got the bags out of the back of the truck. Robert jumped out of the bed, then turned around and helped Laura down, as she was far more hesitant to jump.

Once out of the truck, Laura got a clear view of the mountains around her and the fields that seemed to stretch on forever, "you and your dad were right," She said, "it feels like a world away from Old Bridge."

"That's what we like about it. Well, not Adam, but-"

"Adam doesn't like it here?"

Robert replied, "He never really did. He always chose to go to Philadelphia when we came. Can't really blame him, I guess. There's a lot of physical labor and fun that he can't really participate in."

"Why not?"

"Oh, that's right, you don't know. Sometimes I forget you haven't always been around," he laughed, "Adam got rheumatic fever when he was a kid. It damaged his heart. He's alright for the most part, but any sort of strenuous activity tends to aggravate his condition."

"No wonder he doesn't enjoy it."

"I guess so. I never really thought about it," Robert admitted, "I'll tell you, I'm glad it wasn't me. I'd hate not to be able to do anything out here. I learned how to hunt, fish, ride, herd cattle... I even learned to drive when I was ten. I don't think there's ever been a day I've spent out here that I didn't love."

"Rob," A voice called from the porch. Once the person was in focus Laura assumed it was Robert's Aunt Evelyn. She came hurrying from the porch and wrapped her arms around Robert, hugging him so tightly that he could hardly breathe for a moment, "I know it's been a while and that you probably don't want to hear it anymore, but you're looking so well. I didn't know what to expect," she said, holding his face in her hands, "what a dreadful ordeal. I can't even imagine... we wanted so much to come and see you when we learned what happened. We just couldn't get away..."