PROLOGUE

It wasn't strange for medicine cats to dream.
But usually, they'd woke up in a beautiful green meadow, where they could see the night sky and it's stars and their ancestors coming down to talk.
But the young tabby woke up in a strange place, everything was black, like a shadow had covered the entire place and he could feel the suffocating sensation of walls behind those shadows. It was like entering a big tunnel, there was space to move, but the borders of that big "cage" were still there and were oppressing, like a giant twoleg's paw with it's strange and long fingers getting closer to grab the cat and crush him.
The tabby took a deep breath, hoping for the fresh air of the forest to fill his lungs as he turned his head and tried to see something more than the black and empty "nothing" he saw every second of his life when he was awake.
In his dreams he was able to see.
In his dreams his eyes worked.
Then why the void was still there?

<< Is someone's there? >>

Finally someone came to him, or better yet, something.
It was feline is shape, from that distance it looked like a cat standing in front of him, but as the tabby got closer, he saw nothing but a stone in the form of a cat, like one of the statues twolegs had in their yards.
He got closer, looking at the stone and trying to find the meaning in it, every dream had a meaning, especially the dreams of medicine cats.

"Beware..."

Came the whispers from the void, he couldn't tell where the voices were coming from.

"Beware of the pain hunting a noble heart."

Hearing a strange noises, he turned back to the stone, seeing cracks forming on it's chest, like something or someone had struck it with enough force to break it.
The cracks were rapidly expanding, like stripes running down a tabby's body, hoping to cover it all.

"Beware of the memories clawing at the strong mind."

More cracks formed on the stone cat's head, crawling where the eyes would have been and all over it's muzzle.
The tabby took a few steps back, looking at the scene with wide eyes, not knowing how to react.
He just knew it was a bad thing, those words were warning him of something really terrible coming his way, fear got a quick grip of his heart.

"Even a gentle soul will turn it's back on the stars and walk a blood-soaked path if noone's there to help."
<< But... how? >>

The tabby looked around again, feeling unable to look at the stone cat, but his body itched like the cracks were now forming on him, breaking his skin like the scars of old wounds that he felt the need to scratch.

<< And who is the cat that needs my help?! >>

Asked the medicine cat, his voice more and more agitated with the itching getting stronger, harder to ignore.
But the voices weren't going to give the answer he hoped for.

"Find her before they do. Help her before she crosses the line."
<< But who is she?! Who are they?! >>

The stone cat was now covered in cracks and broke down.
Little pieces rolled at the tabby's paws as he recoiled, screams could be heard the moment the stone broke, rising from the void like many cats were being slaughtered all togheter.
The screaming got so loud the tabby lied down and covered his ears, but that didn't help, he just heard louder screams and instinctively unsheathed his claws, not caring if he scratched himself.

"Help her, Jayfeather!"

And so the screaming stopped, for the medicine cat was about to get up.