9. Whispers in the Dark

(Jay's POV)

Jesus christ.

I've done this before, but this time it feels different.

I lay awake, the suspension of her swinging bed very slightly moving us side to side, she didn't take much time before her eyes were shut and a stream of drool began to pull at the base of my neck. I don't mine, she's peaceful, her lips even curve into a slight smile as she rests.

A shiver came over her, is she scared or cold? Maybe both. I pull her closer to me, drawing a blanket over her body.

She's so peaceful.

My hand draws lines down her skin, watching goosebumps rise and fall. Her mother is down the hall, a glass of water and some medicine in her hands. I wrap a thick strand of hair around my finger, twirl it twice, and let it fall.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I whisper, gently sliding out from under her, tucking her in, I have three seconds.

"Jay," Her hand drifts to the empty warmth I left.

Her lips were slightly parted as mine met them, they danced together before splitting up, I headed out the back door, my jacket still hung on her chair.

I never like keeping emotion on my face, it's not my thing, Ryan always points this out to me. She thinks I should smile and look happy, but not all of us have something to smile about. Tonight, I did.

Per usual, she was there the moment my keys hit the counter, "You're home!" She runs into me, "Your hair is messy, you haven't washed your face, and you lost your jacket, did you hook up with another person? What happened to Jess! What is this 9–."

"I spent the night with Jessica," I cut her off, "I left my jacket there."

With a giggle, some squeals, and a lot of jumping, Ry's fangirling hasn't changed since we met, in her usual Ryan way, "Did you fuck? How long are you going to try to keep your paws off her? When are you going to date her, you know—."

"Yes, I know. Chill, it'll happen, I just don't want to mess up."

"Can you ever let me finish a—."

"No."

"Stupid butthead," She sticks her tongue out.

"This stupid butthead is tired," I pat her head, "See you tomorrow."

She furrows her brows, stomping her feet, "I'm cooking dinner, you're having a meal with me."

I ruffle up her hair, "Okay. Fine. I'll eat dinner with you, can I at least shower?"

She jumps up to swing open a cabinet, giving me a thumbs up.

My legs dragged the entire time as I prepared a glorious shower, undressing as I check my phone.

-New message from Jessica-
Thank you.

Get out of my head.

I hope she slept well. Should I text back.

My phone entered the shower with me, scalding hot water running down my face in a comforting agony.

"Jesus Christ," I look down, water dripping down my nose, falling from my lips. My phone screen impossible to read anymore.

Another blue box popped up.

-New Message from Jessica-
You left your jacket? Want me to bring it tomorrow?

All I could do was daydream.

"Jae-sung-ah! Someone's here to see you!"

Fucking hell. Whoever it is can wait.

Five minutes, just five.

"Get your ass out here! I know what your doing! Calm down and finish it later!"

Damn you, sister.

After stumbling to be clothed, I trip out the door into the hallway, Ryan giggling with her arms crossed.

"I made strawberry shortcake for dessert!" She winks, "He's in the livingroom."

Blow my head off already. Who's even here?

"What did you do yesterday? You know I couldn't even feel her? She needs me!" Joey stands up, with a scoff my fingers were on his chest, pushing him down into the couch, the force pushed the couch back with him.

"Calm your tits, Jörgen, she's safely sleeping, nightmare free, a glass of water and pain medicine on her bedside table. She's not your slut, remember?"

Through gritted teeth he hissed, "The fact you call her such profound words is sickening, you're violent, a player, and bad. You're plain bad."

"I'm hurt. But you know what, Jessica is happy right now. Did you take her out to the rocky beaches, light a bonfire and buy her a nice breakfast in the city after calling her the night before because she needed you? No. You didn't."

He laughed, "She needs to work through her own problems, not be babysat."

Ryan just watched, snacking on the strawberries from the fridge.

"Foul play, Culton. Watch it," He stomps out the house.

"Hey! You could've taken your shoes off! How much more disrespectful could you be! Disrespect is a sin! I think!"

Ryan chuckled, holding out a strawberry, "Want some?"