3. Forever Rain

I suppressed the demons of my dreams, grabbing the rope that is my morning alarm and pulling myself out of my subconscious with every inch of strength in me. Gasping, I lean forwards, fumbling around my sheets for my phone. The only reason I found it was because a notification buzzed through, it scared me slightly, I jumped.

~Ryan~
Hope you're up and ready sleepy! See you at 6:20 sharp!

I smile slightly to myself before tucking my phone into my hoodie pocket and walking over to get ready, tapping the bottom of my feet across the cold floor quickly.

I really only had two options, walk in with a bang, or blend in. Considering Ryan and Jay's style of baggy jeans and oversized tops, I go for a simpler outfit, but make it me of course, my style definitely fit in with New York, some days it was calm, collected, and warm colors, other days I barely could classify my outfit as clothes.

Outside, Chris was dragging himself down the hallway, I giggle as I bounced past him. For one I was excited to start the day early. I get to hangout with new friends, meet more people, and start school again. It's like life has finally moved and I can get back to being Jessica again. Popping a slice of avocado toast in my mouth, I grab my school bag, sleepy Chris, and car keys before waving goodbye to my parents, who were getting ready for their jobs, and speeding down the driveway.

The sun peaked its rays over the edge of a field I drove past. It was a lovely sight, nothing like the crowded streets of the city, which consisted of traffic, honking, exhaust, and the occasional glimpse of the sun through buildings, but that was rare in the mornings. Now I can breathe easy knowing I won't smell gasoline and burnt rubber. Instead, the earthy smell of the evergreen trees fill the car with a hint of the blueberry field we just passed. As I follow the GPS, we are taken down small roads that lead in and out of the forest, weaving through trees and farms. Passing wildlife that stare innocently into your eyes as you pass them on the road way, praying they won't run in your path.

After a short, slightly stressful drive to school, we pull up to the big brick building with a full parking lot, searching for a spot to park. I smiled out the tinted windows, it's a new start Jess.

"We're here!" I clap my hands together, putting the keys in my small bag.

No response.

"Chris?" I nudge him.

"Shush," I groans.

"No way dude! You can't fall asleep! Get up," I laugh, poking him in his ribs.

He swats me way, brushing his hand through his hair before lazily getting out of the car.
Chris does this thing, he tries to act all tough for me and everyone else, but I know inside he is terrified, not many people besides me notice this. I could tell as we walk towards the front office, his shoulders tensed the closer we got, he picked at his nails and fiddled with his hair, classic anxious response, and it's not like I can blame him. I actually feel bad for him, starting freshman year in a completely new school has to be nerve wreaking. I take his hand in mine as he pushes the door open.

The outside of the building was just dark brick and worn, it had dark green windows, the inside was the classic white tile, white cement walls, I hated it. It feels more like jail then the old New York school, which was steel beams and glass, natural light flooded the classrooms, almost too bright. Now it was just dim. I shake the thought away a turn to the lady seated at the desk. She looked up at me and my brother, her expression turning from bored to shocked.

"Well, well, if it isn't a new face 'round here! You must be Jessica and Chris Amór!" She holds out her hand, I couldn't tell if her smile was real or fake.