2. Singularity

The plane brings itself closer to the ground on its decent.  The air in the plane had gotten cooler. The feeling of being trapped stayed tight around my thin bones. I look out the window onto the blueberry planes of Washington. I take a second to admire the sunrise. The surround  area around the airport was a forest of evergreens. The plane bumped and I knew we had landed. I sigh, another bit of solemn relief that came out of nowhere, I felt peaceful, maybe it was the quiet that sat over the plane? No, it couldn't be, my father's unspoken words we're to painful for it to be that way. Maybe it was the serenity of the calm town. No honking cars could be heard, none could barely be seen, maybe one or two would pass by, but none like stream pouring down main street on a stressful New York morning.  My father had a glass of gin sitting up on the table, his face held no emotion, either that or my talent of reading people has been diminished from my lack of social interaction. My mother was smiling brightly at him, to be honest, even though she seems snobby to most of the unknown people looking in from the outside at her lavish lifestyle, my mother has a kind heart. Chris on the other hand was still holding my hand, he never let go, I don't think he would've if we had been flying for a whole day.

We got the clear to get off the plane. A golf cart was waiting for us outside, but my parents were talking to the pilot. It was chilly outside, just enough to raise goosebumps on my bare arms. I didn't mind the cold, New York got pretty chilly in winter, enough to cover our balconies in snow. The morning dew covered the surface of the earth. Unlike New York it smelled earthy here. Cedar, Pine, fur trees fill my nose with unfamiliar scents. I saw fresh foods being grown, something that would never happen in the city. It felt clean, no exhaust from cars spat in your face, just the smell of earth.

My parents wrapped up their conversation and hopped on the golf cart. I silently sat behind them, Chris still never let go. As we rode, I leaned on Chris for warmth in  his button up shirt father had made him wear. My family had a habit of dressing very formally for the smallest occasions. To be honest they probably wanted to make it known they we're here. I mean they've only been building this house for months on end. I used to do the same, but I don't feel like trying anymore. My jeans and hoodies will have to do. It's not like I cared looking different, it was just numb. The airport itself was small, just four terminals, and the building was barely a football's field length. Eyes faced us, nobody sat around and the building looked barren, few people sat in security, the rest were boarding. I pulled my hood up to avoid gazes.

We reach the car with our carry on luggage. My father locks the bags safely in the trunk of the car. In my father's usual fashion, he had to pick the newest and sleekest looking car. It was a Cadillac CT6 in the newest model. I don't blame him, I've always loved cars. It was our thing. Lamborghinis, Ferraris, McLarens, anything. We always bonded over them.  I blankly stare out of the tinted windows as we pass through the small town. As we cruised along, taking in the scenery I started thinking of that my life would be like her. I am my own person, and now I can change myself. Change my persona. I don't have to be party girl anymore. No drugs. No drinking. I'll find a small café and maybe make a friend. Or I can stay a loner. Either option sounds great.  A section of the town had some boutiques and shops around it. The one thing that did catch my eye was a beautiful clock tower covered in vines. The sun caught the dew just right, the building looked like it sparkled, all to soon we pass right by it. 

 We pull into a gravel driveway that leads into the woods. We have one neighbor. Whoever they are, live in a large grey house, not as big as ours, just large. We had three floors. It was a huge house. Much bigger than the old penthouse, though it felt less homey. I walk inside. White tile, grey walls, floor to ceiling windows. In the kitchen there are marble countertops, white cabinets, stainless steel, chandeliers.  I don't understand the need for a huge house, but it looks flashy, I don't hate it.