03

•

Where did I go wrong?
I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

How To Save A Life - The Fray
2005

WHEN THE +33 COUNTRY CODE FLASHES UP ON THE PHONE, VIVIENNE FITZGERALD KNOWS WHO'S CALLING

WHEN THE +33 COUNTRY CODE FLASHES UP ON THE PHONE, VIVIENNE FITZGERALD KNOWS WHO'S CALLING. It was just the thing to spoil her perfectly pleasant afternoon - a call from her mother.

"Salut maman!" Viv called from her end of the phone, pouring herself a glass of gin.

"Ah, Vivienne ma cherie, comment ca va?" Her mother replied in a sweet, shrill voice.

It wasn't the same as the smooth, almost silky voice she had memorised - perhaps her mother was ill.

She didn't sound like her mother, but only her mother called her Vivienne. The rest of her family likened to calling her V or Vivi.

Viv glanced at her watch, 5:16 pm, "Comme ci comme ca maman, et toi?"

To say that Vivienne was alright would have been an inaccurate summary of how things really were.

Complicated, however vague, was the most accurate one-word answer one could give.

But in truth, Viv missed her family. But they were too busy following passions around to be there for her.

Her brother was in the army.

Her sister worked for one of the best law firms in the entire world.

Her father was in London writing books about being a neurosurgeon, making more millions than the number of surgeries he had performed.

And her mother was currently engaging in business transactions in Milan.

"Bien. Tout se passe bien. Maintenant, Vivienne, je voudrais parler avec toi."