2

AMBER
I exhaled through my mouth before entering Dad’s office. Once I stepped inside, I found him sitting behind his mahogany desk across the spacious room. He was taking a whiff of his cigar. 

“Y-you asked for me, Alpha?” I looked down at the hardwood floor. I couldn’t call him dad, both in public as well behind the doors. Once I called him ‘dad’ by mistake and they locked me inside the dungeon for days and starved me as punishment. 

“Yes.” His deep voice rattled my bones. Dad never wanted to see my face before. I He used to say that it made him feel disgusted. Then why did he summon me? Was he angry at me for making a scene at the wedding? 

“My apologies, Alpha..” My wobbly legs bent to kneel on the smooth floor, his powerful aura weighing on my body like a stack of bricks. Even my lips were trembling under the pressure. 

If Agni was here, she would have scolded me for apologizing. He should be apologizing to me. But I couldn’t muster the courage.

The more he ignored me and hated me, the more I craved his love and attention. Abby was lucky. Putting her life on the line wasn't required for his love.

“I called you because I have news for you.” He said. I kept my eyes on the floor. He didn’t appreciate me staring at him. “You’ll get married to the son of the Alpha of Valeford.” He declared.

I raised my head at lightning speed. “What?!”

Just then, Uncle Crux’s hand connected with my face, throwing me off guard. “How dare you look at the Alpha? Have you forgotten the rules?” 

Rules?! He was getting me married to a ruthless beast and all they could care about was me looking at my dad?!

My left cheek burned with the sting of the slap. My eyes met Dad again. I don't care. Rules be damned, “No. I can’t get married to him!” 

The son of Alpha of Valeford, Raymond Dawson, was the most ruthless killer in history. I had seen it with my own eyes. A minor war had taken place two years back, between Raymond and our pack. Not a single warrior of our force was alive after it ended. Even some of our best warriors couldn’t stand against him. The mere thought made me shiver. 

I hadn’t seen him in person, just like many others. But word has it that he hid his face under a mask because he was ugly. The rumors didn’t matter, as he spared no one, including innocents. And I was getting married to a merciless beast like him?! 

“You can’t do this to me! H-how did you even convince them to marry me?” 

As far as I knew, the Dawson family belonged to the royal bloodline. They gave the title to the families whose ancestors shared blood with the Moon Goddess. Along with four other families, the Dawsons shared ancestral history with Selene. They had both generational wealth and the status of the largest army of ten thousand warriors.

Hence, the Wolf Weekly magazine termed them the ‘Elite of the Elites' in their front page. 

Why would such a powerful family want a wolf-less girl like me for their son? Did they not care about Raymond’s status because he did not share royal blood? I heard he was their illegitimate son. 

“It was hard to approach them. But after a few months, Alpha Stephan put forward the proposal himself. As per his words, he needed his son to get married as soon as possible and since I had two girls, we could form an alliance. So I accepted the proposal.” He explained with a stoic face while I rose to my feet.

“But…why will they accept me? I am…” I asked.
“A useless piece of wolf-less, unlucky shit that you are. They don’t need to know that. I considered Abby marrying Raymond, but Stephan wouldn't let an illegitimate person be the Alpha. Abby will end up with no power over the pack.”