3

AMBER

I sat on the window seat, my head resting on my knees, while I stared out at the sprawling green fields that covered Alpha Tyler Blackwater’s estate. The warm sun fell on my face through the window glass, its warmth, and light giving birth to a new sense of hope inside me. 

Dad forced me into marrying Raymond and hence I signed my death in the hands of the pack of Valeford. But I would have died anyway if I didn't sign it. Abby made it pretty clear at the time she held the silver dagger close to my throat. 

After Agni left me, I turned weak and slowly started to give up hope in life. That's when I really became fragile and whoever wanted to bully me got their way. But what I regretted the most was how I had this ridiculous hope that someday my family would love and accept me. 

Unlike the warm weather of Brimsard Bay, the people here carried cold hearts. I knew it at the back of my mind but I still kept lingering on to my stupid faith, trying to present my best self in front of them. 

"I am sorry, Agni. I failed you. You always told me to be strong and be myself but I guess I was so blinded by my desire to get some love and acceptance, I didn't notice where it would lead us." I mumbled while rocking back and forth on the soft seat. 

They had locked me up in the piano room after forcing me to sign the paper so that I wouldn't run away. Not that I had a choice. They would find me and if I rejected the pack bond, I would turn into a rogue. 

I didn't want to be a rogue. There were rogue hunters assigned by the Council everywhere and if they found me, I would be sent to the Haven’s Edge. The Edge was a messed up place where rogues were beaten up or turned into slaves. Women were trafficked to other high-ranking wolves and I didn't even want to think about what was done to them. It was worse than a person's nightmare. 

I looked down at my wrist. It was painful to move and a blue spot had formed in the area where Uncle Crux had applied a lot of pressure. I hissed as I clenched my fist. 

If I was powerful, they wouldn't have been able to force me into anything. My life wouldn't have been this terrible. I had trained hard when I was with Agni, but I put all my strength into the wrong places. It went into caring and protecting a bunch of heartless people who didn't deserve to be protected. 

But somewhere they were right too. Sometimes I wondered if I was really born with bad luck and people around me got hurt because of it. Maybe–

"Don't think of such nonsense. There is nothing like good or bad luck! One makes their luck through their hard work and dedication. The people who are too lazy to act blame it on luck. We are way past that!" Agni’s voice echoed in my head. She used to say this whenever I felt down. 
She was always so optimistic. 

"I wish you were here. I miss you so much." I said and took a deep breath to keep myself calm. I looked out the window again. The sky looked clear and bright. 

"You are right. I need to build my own luck." I said to myself. 

They might have broken my wrist, but they haven't broken my will yet. I could have chosen immediate death but I didn’t because I still had a sliver of hope inside me and it told me that if I tried, I would survive. I had survived my sister’s bullying and the pack’s torture. 

I was going to be with a dangerous man who might kill me. If he doesn't, his pack surely would. But I would have to survive. At least I had to try. 

I wouldn't let Agni's sacrifice go in vain. Her last, dying wish was for me to live. I wanted to live and try to have a good life until all doors were shut for me.