4

RAYMOND

“Mate!” my wolf growled. 

Fury ignited in my chest as I saw my mate lying helpless on the floor. I arrived to find my mate lying helpless on the floor, with torn clothes and a fearful aura that told a lot had happened before.. 

Fuck! 

I landed in the Brimsard Bay pack a few days back and arrived late at the Alpha’s house. Three hours and thirty seconds later. 

 I had no interest in this marriage of convenience since I wasn’t marrying the girl of my choosing, but someone whom Stephan had chosen. Not that I doubted his choice. He knew what he was doing. But my main reason to accept the deal was something else–

The Alpha’s crown. 

He made a contract that stated once I signed the marriage papers; I was to be promoted to the rank of the new Alpha of Valeford. I concluded that handling an annoying girl for the rest of my life in return for controlling everyone in Valeford was not a terrible deal. 

I still wondered why he had to push me into marriage, but then I realized it had to do with ensuring a powerful alliance with the Brimsard Bay pack. 

Honestly, it didn’t matter as long as I got to step into Alpha’s position. 

I wasn’t the type who was keen on sharing my personal life with a partner. Relationships were a hassle, and I always had my eyes on the prize, so women never entered the picture. The emotional investment was a waste of time, a thought my wolf didn’t approve of as mates was important to them. 

My wolf, Ash, kept blabbering that one day we would find our mate and the day I would lay my eyes on her, I wouldn’t be able to resist the pull of the bond. Never did I think that an animal’s words, who chased his own tail, would be true. Amber Blackwaters, the girl I was married to, turned out to be my fated mate.

I never listened to my gut, but today it wouldn’t stop screaming, forcing the thought of finding my mate in my head. Also, Ash had been acting restless and kept pushing me to search for her. Since I remembered I couldn’t just kill my wolf to silence him, I resorted to ignorance. 

But the moment I set foot in Alpha Tyler’s estate, I felt it in my bones. It was like lightning had struck my body, causing every single strand of hair to stand in anticipation of what lay ahead. The sweet scent of vanilla, subtle but impactful in the southern warm air, pulled me towards the manor like it was calling my name. 

There were only a few countable things in the world that made me zone out. One of them was a beautiful, melancholic tune played on the violin. This one felt similar, only except for its effect reached deep into my chest.

My ears cut off Alpha Tyler’s voice, who was giving me a welcome speech, and stormed through the clean foyer, my heart thudding under my ears like loud drums. It was not just the scent, but the overwhelming sense of fear and pain that crawled over my skin like spiders. 

I knew something was off the moment I felt her presence. Tyler had stated before that he wouldn’t be holding any ceremony for our wedding, which I was fine with because it wasted less of my time. 

But it also struck me as something odd. Which father didn’t want to throw a wedding ceremony for his precious daughter? Tyler didn’t seem to be the one who lacked money, so why didn’t he arrange for anything at all? 

It all made sense now. 

When I searched for my mate around the silent, white halls of the manor, I saw Tyler and a black-haired lady who shared some striking similarities with him appear in front of me.