PROLOGUE

15 years earlier.

Seoul, South Korea.

“Jungkook…Jungkook…Jungkook.”

The rowdy chants of the crowd filled the ground as they witnessed the fight between the two opponents. Daniel was older, taller and bigger at the age of fifteen fighting against fourteen year old jungkook. But Jungkook wasn't scared. After his parents had dropped him at the orphanage at the age of five, he could only remember himself fighting against the world. Growing up in an orphanage was difficult but so was to not listen to the pathetic claims of the crowd about his parents, whom he didn't even remember. Some said he was the son of a prostitute, some said his parents died, some said his father was a murderer and the list goes on. The questions never ended and there were no answers to them.

After years of getting the snot beat out of him by grown men, he wasn't much scared of anyone anymore.

“You dirty shit.” Daniel jeered, his voice masking laughter. “ You really think you can beat me?”

“ I know I can.” Jungkook snarled.

Daniel spat in the grass and shook his head at Jungkook, mocking him.

“ I am going to destroy you, child. Let me just give you a taste of my punch and let me see you running back to your mumma. Oh, wait. You don't have a mother. Hell, you don't have a home either.”

Jungkook put up his fists. “ Are you just good at talking or you can also do something?”

Daniel laughed scornfully as the crowd's chants grew even louder and more demanding.

The chants grew louder encouraging both the fighters to do their best. Pumping up the adrenaline rush within them.

The blow stung, but in the heat of battle Jungkook barely even noticed. Gritting his teeth, he repeatedly landed vicious jabs as blood squirted from Daniel's mouth and nose. The crowd egged him on, cheering and hollering as Daniel tried to block his hits.

Jungkook kept punching in a fury until he was stopped by Shijin, the sixteen-year-old juvie who ran the weekly fights. He pulled Jungkook to his feet and raised his right arm in the air.

"We have a new champ!"

The crowd went berserk, half cheering and half groaning as high fives were slapped and money changed hands.

Daniel stumbled to his feet, holding his bloody nose. "I want a rematch!"

Shijin grinned, counting a wad of cash.

"Sure thing, Dani-"

"JUNGKOOK! "an angry voice cut through the air like a boom of thunder.

Shit, Jungkook thought as a tall, burly, light-skinned Korean man came
shoving his way through the crowd. He worked at the group home where Jungkook lived. He was basically his caretaker and the only person in the orphanage he could talk to, Kim Ji-ho.

Shijin and the other boys took one look at Mr. Kim and scattered like junkies fleeing the cops.

"Hey!" Jungkook called to their retreating backs. "Where's my money?

Before he could take off running after
them, a massive hand seized his arm
and jerked him around. Suddenly he
found himself staring into Mr Kim's eyes.

"What are you doing? Leave me. I need to get my money."

"Well congrats. But I don't think so."

"But I won the fight."

"Congratulations, boy. Let's go."

Mr. Kim grabbed Jungkook by the arm and began dragging him across the grassy field toward a white van parked along the curb.