VIII

***

2006

***

"Have you thought about what you want to do after this?"

"After talking to Yaga?" You asked absentmindedly as you continued braiding your friend's white hair. You had sat at one of the desks, so you could reach Satoru's hair which, even sitting on a chair well below you, was still very tall.

"No, after graduation." Suguru clarified.

The two boys were sitting on the chairs facing each other, Suguru somewhat more withdrawn due to Satoru menspreading as wide as possible.

"Are you already thinking about this? We still have more than two years to go."

"I want to start a buttered potato stand." Satoru replied excitedly.

You and Suguru looked at him for a few seconds in silent contempt and unanimously decided to ignore him.

"Do you have plans, Suguru?" You asked as you tied a rubber band at the end of another strand of Satoru's hair, who protested at the tugging on his hair.

Geto gazed absently out the window, showing you his sharp jaw as he looked thoughtful.

"Start a family maybe..."

Silence.

You and Satoru looked at each other for a second with open mouths before bursting into a loud laugh.

"Okay, daddy." You responded sarcastically.

Suguru nailed a kick to Satoru's shin, but it stayed inches from his body, his foot slowed by infinity. Your hands, which were entwining his hair, were also forcefully repelled.

"Ouch!" You protested.

"Are there any candidates, Suguru?" Satoru asked in a honeyed voice.

The black-haired boy frowned and cursed himself for sharing his thoughts with you two.

"How many times do I have to say no?" He barked back, looking at him menacingly.

Satoru, like a polygraph, noted a slight increase in Suguru's heart rate. He studied his expression carefully, unconvinced. Was he hiding something from him? And why was he looking at you like that?

"Sorry, y/n. I still don't control infinity very well." Satoru said.

He reached behind him and grabbed your wrists to pull you forward, wrapping your arms around his neck. You gasped in surprise, but didn't try to break away. You felt the friction of his jaw against your skin as he spoke again.

"And here I thought we were our own family." Satoru faked a disappointed face.

The classroom door opened at that moment, and Professor Yaga entered with his usual seriousness.

"What are you doing here, y/n?" he asked in a grave voice.

You disentangled yourself from Satoru and stood up, somewhat surprised. "I thought you wanted to talk to us, Professor."

"Only with the boys. If you'll excuse us, please..." The professor pointed to the door.

Suguru didn't take his eyes off you as you walked through the class without protest and left them alone.

"If I have to spend the rest of my life with you, I'll shoot myself." He muttered, still annoyed.

Satoru narrowed his eyes behind his glasses. He'd done it again. Another lie.