IX

***

2007

***

The third year had been very lonely at school, but spring came with renewed hope. Soon it would be the exchange event, and you had a chance to show your skills and level up.

You hadn't seen Satoru or Suguru for at least four months.

Since last year's incident, solo missions had become the norm, and now your schedules were unpredictable and chaotic. It was a miracle running into them, and you had long since accepted that you wouldn't be seeing the boys as often as you used to.

But you also felt that they had been avoiding you. Although it was most likely your imagination, it was true that they did not always pick up the phone, or they took days to answer your messages. It had also gotten so hard to figure out what days they would be at school after their missions that you stopped asking as often.

Luckily, Shoko, whose power was too valuable to risk on the field, was almost always at school and had kept you a lot of company during that course.

You smiled to yourself as you folded your laundry and put it away in your closet, while Shoko talked in the background. You had to confess that you weren't giving her all the attention she deserved. There had been something in the back of your mind for weeks.

Satoru and Suguru would be at the school for two whole weeks to help you prepare for the event, and finally, the three of you would be together again.

"Gojo says he's coming straight to the club tonight." Shoko announced looking at her phone as she tapped rapidly with her thumbs.

That name really caught your attention. You quickly picked up the phone to check your messages while Shoko watched you with a raised eyebrow.

You didn't have any messages from Satoru. In fact, he hadn't even open your chat for weeks.

You felt a prick of disappointment in your belly.

"It's a pity that they won't be allowed to participate in the event, don't you think?" Shoko was looking at you suspiciously from a corner of the room. "Y/n?"

You threw the cell phone on the bed and returned to dedicate yourself to the task of folding clothes, somewhat more tense than before. "It's a shame that Suguru and the other one can't participate, but it would be unfair to Kyoto. It is enough that they let them stay here all week to support us."

"Yeah..." Shoko mumbled.

"By the way, do you know anything about Suguru?" You asked your friend. "Has he returned to school yet?"

"Yes, I ran into him this morning." She answered, taking something out of her pocket. "Hey, do you mind if I smoke in here?"

"What do you think?" You responded with a laugh. "We can go outside in a bit; I don't want my clothes to smell like smoke. Has Suguru told you if he's coming too?"

"He didn't seem to like the idea of partying, but I think he wants to see us all. Today is the Tokyo winner's reunion!" She said, throwing her arms up in excitement.

Shoko was already too drunk by the time she stepped foot out of the taxi.

You had been having a few drinks during dinner, and you hadn't realized that Shoko had annihilated the sake bottles by herself. You grabbed her elbow as you walked past Nanami, who had opened the car door for you, to prevent her from falling awkwardly to the ground.

"I can't believe you're already like this, we just got here, Shoko." You sighed as your friend laughed nonchalantly.

"Oh come on, y/n. It's okay, it's just one night!" Shoko exclaimed. "Come on, look who's here!!"