FOUR - It's a Bonfire, Turn The Lights Out

It's a Bonfire, Turn The Lights Out

After dinner everyone slowly dispersed to have some time to themselves. Caroline was sat with the moms as Belly came down the stairs for a late night swim. She extended an invitation to join, but Caroline was exhausted from her morning swim, opting to sit on the side instead.

As the two girls walked out to the pool they spotted Conrad's figure already sitting by the water, smoking a joint.

"I thought you said smoking pot changes the way your brain processes information?" Asked Caroline as she sat adjacent to him, legs dangling in the water.

Conrad was fast to reply, "So does your cellphone."

The two watched as Belly dove into the pool, not caring to be a part of their conversation at the moment. Caroline splashed at Belly as she swam away, silently cursing her for leaving her with Conrad.

"You said marijuana messes with white matter. And that our brains are still developing."

"God do you memorize every single thing that I've ever said?" Conrad asked with a smug smirk on his face.

The girl was shocked by his bluntness as she tried to formulate a response. "Not everything. Only the stuff to call you hypocritical."

Her words seemed to render the boy into silence as they both watched Belly swim back and forth in the pool, oblivious to everything around her.

Caroline contemplated her words before she spoke again, since she couldn't tell where their conversation was going.

"I mean Conrad you're the one that was always going on about how smokings dumb and how we shouldn't put 'shit' in our bodies."

"I said a lot of stuff. And I'm not an athlete anymore." Conrad retorted as he placed the joint in his mouth once more.

"Well, I think you should quit."

The Fisher boy thought over her statement as he exhaled the smoke from the joint. They held eye contact as he asked, "What'll you give me if I do?"

Caroline could feel the smugness radiating off of him, this time she was caught off guard at his words. She subconsciously bit her lip as she thought of what to say; Conrad watching her the entire time.

"Nothing, I just think you should quit for yourself. Don't you remember when Belly and I forced you to watch The OC with us, and the episode where Seth burns down a home with a joint?"