SIX - They're Just Girls

They're Just Girls

They're Just Girls

Once Caroline got back home her mother rushed her to change for the deb tea. In all honesty, the girl was somewhat dreading meeting the rest of the debutantes. Sure her moms a somewhat wealthy lawyer, and the teen definitely looks the part of a traditional deb, but she knew she was probably different from the other girls. Caroline had barely ever interacted with the other girls along Cousins. Belly was her best friend, and that was more than enough for her; though there was still a major part of her that wanted to be accepted by the other girls.

Caroline finished her final touches of makeup and looked at herself in the mirror, decked out in full deb uniform. She didn't hate the white heels or the jade green dress covered in weaving pink flowers, what she did hate was the pink fascinator clipped onto her head. Delilah tapped on the door before entering her daughter's room with a gasp.

"You look absolutely gorgeous."

"I look like a knockoff royal family member with this thing sticking out of my head." Caroline said with a huff as she gestured to her hair and the unfortunate hat.

Delilah waved her daughter's complaint off as she came over to fix anything that was out of place on Caroline. "I know you hate the fascinator, but believe me all the girls will be wearing them today. You only have to wear it for today and then I'll never make you wear one ever again."

"I'm holding you to that promise." Caroline said with a sigh. Her phone lit up with a text from Belly, saying that she and Laurel were at the car waiting to go.

"Have fun sweetheart, and feel free to text me if you're not having a good time or some girl is rude to you and Belly. I'll add her to the fight list."

The girl laughed off her mother's words as she gave herself one last look over in the mirror before heading to meet Belly and Laurel. She took the path between the two homes to meet the two women, hearing Susannah's voice calling her from the porch.

"Caroline! Hurry over here so I can take photos of you and Belly before you head over."

Caroline couldn't say no to Susannah, and Belly gave her a pleading look as she finally made it over to the Conklin's car. She gave her friend a quick look over to make sure she wasn't insanely overdressed or underdressed. To her delight, she and Belly were dressed similarly, with the fascinator included.

"At least we'll look like idiots together." Belly said as she wrapped her arm around Caroline's torso for Susannah's photo.

Susannah was fast to compliment the girls and ease their anxieties, "You girls don't look like idiots. You're positively gorgeous and glowing." She then turned towards the house, waving her arm before Conrad stepped out. "Don't they look pretty Connie?"

Caroline suddenly felt Belly tense from beside her, she glanced at her friend whose face turned bright red at the attention from Conrad. She was aware of the younger girl's crush on Conrad, almost everyone in the family was aware of it. Though Caroline never confessed her crush on the same boy to her friend, she felt incredibly guilty about her feelings.