Chapter 4: Costume B

In the evening, looking through my wardrobe, that glare of Lunge's crossed my mind yet again. For the first time, I had the feeling that something was off, and that Lunge might have come to a wrong conclusion. The other detective told me that the Inspector and Doctor Tenma had met nine years ago. What if that was the reason for Lunge's behaviour?

Lunge glared at the Doctor as we stood in the interrogation room. After what felt like an eternity, he turned his head to me, not changing his expression. I didn't say anything, just looking back at him. It was unsettling, to be honest.

"Well, if the interrogation is over, I'll be heading back to work, then." With these words, I walked towards the door, intending to head back to my office.

"You..."

I stopped when he spoke.

"You don't want to tell me that you actually fell for his lies..."

He turned his head, staring right into my eyes.

"Right, Helene?"

He knew I had a different opinion. And he didn't like it at all.

"I'll stay neutral for now", I replied. "And I'll think about the doctor's testimony."

Then, I left the room, irritated by his strange behavior.

And so, I had decided to take matters into my own hands. With the help of my wardrobe. My hands resting on the two doors, I inspected my clothing options, smirking.

"Costume A or costume B?"

In the end, I decided for costume B. My personal assessment of the doctor was that he wasn't the type of man to fall for a woman's charms so easily, so I took those oversized pieces of clothing, grabbed my special set of make up and turned into a whole different person. I called this my private investigation - it was elaborate, but well worth it. I chuckled when I drew the facial hair on my jaw. I had really missed these opportunities to disguise myself - and tonight, I was looking like Herr Bauer - my self-created character - a man in his thirties, who was outgoing and curious. I tucked my hair and placed a hat on it, and I was ready to go.

I walked into the cozy bar, people all around me, chattering quietly. There wasn't one free chair - except for one. There he sat in a corner, looking into nothingness, his black hair covering his eyes. I walked through the crowd, making sure to walk confidently and taking up some space. Through the years, I had learned to play my roles. It truly felt like I was a wholly different person.

"Excuse me?"

He turned to me with tired eyes. I pointed at the chair opposite to him.

"Can I sit there, if you don't mind? There's no other chair left today."

He nodded. "Sure, go ahead."

"Thank you."

I took the chance and sat down opposite to him, adjusting my suit and ordering a coffee. He, the doctor from today, had a clean appearance. His hair was tidy, he was shaved and he wore a clean, white shirt. Still, his eyes looked tired, especially because of his dark circles.

"You look like you've been through a lot."

He looked at me again. "... Yeah. I guess you could say that."

"What's the matter?", I asked casually, receiving my coffee and taking a sip. "Tell me. It's good to get things like that off your chest."

He hesitated, looking sideways and thinking of what to say, but he gave in.

"It's just... it seems like I attract all kinds of problems. So many terrible things happen around me, and it always looks like I'm the one to blame." He sighed. "But maybe I am... at least I'm responsible. But I never meant for anything to happen!" He frowned, his hands shaking. "I never committed a crime! Yet it seems like I'm the one who did it..." I leaned into my chair, crossing my arms. "Hm... so it looks like you've been falsely accused of a crime, huh? That's tough, man. What is your profession, even? It must have taken a lot to be dragged into this mess in the first place." "I'm a doctor", he answered. "Many years ago, I saved a young boy... I gave up everything for him, I thought I was doing the right thing - but I think I made a terrible mistake."

I observed him, tried to read between the lines. It added up with what he said in his testimony today. I was certain - he had no reason to lie. He looked truly desperate. 

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have burdened you with my story."

"It's fine. Don't worry about it."

I took another sip of my coffee. "So... I guess the police isn't willing to help you."

"Well, I don't think so. They don't seem to believe me."

"Hm..." I understood where he was coming from, and I was a little concerned. If we, as the police, would actually accuse Doctor Tenma, he might lose trust in all authorities and try to solve his misery by vigilantism.

"What if there is someone among the police that believes you?"

"Huh?" Doctor Tenma looked at me, confused. "But who is supposed to believe me?"

"I believe you."

I raised my hat, showing my tucked hair, and speaking in my normal voice again. His eyes widened, seeing that.

"It's you- The detective from tomorrow morning!" He squinted as he went from laid-back to alarmed, grabbing the side rests of his chair as if he needed to prepare for something. "So you've been spying on me!"

"No, this is outside of my work duties", I answered. "I just wanted to see for myself if you're capable of murder. And let me tell you, I've been working with actual murderers during my career. And you're different. You're innocent, Doctor Tenma."

I took a piece of paper, writing down my number. "Inspector Lunge might suspect you, but I don't. I have some influence on him, though. I can help you, Doctor Tenma. Let me prove your innocence to him. Then, your life will turn back to normal again." I laid the paper on his side of the table. "Here's my number, in case you want to accept my offer-"

I was cut off by the sound of the chair. Doctor Tenma had stood up, his eyes filled with distrust as he faced me.

"I don't know what you want from me, but please leave me alone. I've seen what the police thinks of me, and I don't intend to work with an institution that suspects me of murder." He turned away. "Goodbye, then." And with these words, he left the bar.