Chapter 22: A good friend

To my astonishment, Richard didn't call. He didn't call me once in a whole week, but luckily, I was able to pack my suitcase after eight days and leave Düsseldorf again. Over time, I had developed a talent for avoiding the inspector everywhere I went - except for when we were supposed to work together - but this week had been rather peaceful. Eventually, I became worried about Richard and decided to give him a call. I sighed in relief when he picked up right away.

"Helene?"

"Richard. You didn't call me once. I thought you were going to annoy me with your calls."

"Yes, but I decided not to. I thought you're probably busy, so I didn't want to bother you."

"You don't bother me. How are you? Is there anything new in Munich?"

"There is! Mr. Schuwald found his real son!"

"Oh, that's some news!"

"Yes, it will probably be in the news tomorrow. I also heard that Schuwald has a new secretary. These are some drastic changes in a short time... it almost feels like fate that you were absent exactly when all of this happened."

"Well, I'll be back tonight."

"Already?" He sounded delighted.

"Yes, and Dr. Reichwein has offered me a room in his house. He's a very generous man. Thank you for introducing me to him."

"Sure."

"Do you have time tomorrow?"

"I don't think so. I'll be busy for some time, now that so many things happened... I'm sorry, Helene."

"It's alright."

"I'll call you when I have some free time."

"Alright, then. See you." I hung up and got ready to drive to Munich.

Although the traffic was terrible, I managed to arrive in Munich on the same day. Dr. Reichwein kindly greeted me in front of his house. "Thank you for offering me a room in your home", I told him, "this is much better than staying at a hotel." "A friend of Richard's is a friend of mine", he answered with a smile. "Come to the kitchen after you unpacked your suitcase. I made some tea." I answered him with a smile and left for my room.

Later, at the kitchen table, Dr. Reichwein filled me in about everything that happened while I was absent. "Richard is convinced that someone tried to isolate Schuwald", he said. "There were too many people in his close circle that died in the last years. There is barely anyone left except for his son and his new secretary." I could imagine that Johan was behind this, but since I didn't know it for sure, I didn't say anything at first. Dr. Reichwein continued. "A former student of mine works as a criminal psychologist. He might come around tomorrow because he might be able to help us with this case. You might even know him." "Really? What's his name?" But the moment I asked, the doorbell rang. "Excuse me." Dr. Reichwein stood up from his chair and opened the door. I heard a Oh, it's you!, and another voice that sounded very familiar. I decided to head to the hallway to see if it was him, and indeed, it was Richard. I couldn't help but smile when I saw him. "Richard. Good to see you." He smiled back. "I was able to make some time, after all. Welcome back." Dr. Reichwein turned around, facing me. "Helene, I'll take the tea and we'll go to the living room. It will be more comfortable at the fireplace." I looked outside, into the dark of the night. It had become quite late already. I nodded. "Alright."

The three of us sat down in front of the fireplace. It was cozy and warm in the room and I was happy to see Richard again. He started telling us about the new things he had found out.

"Mr. Schuwald has a new secretary. It's the man who brought him and his son together. I can't remember his face clearly, but catching a simple glance of him was enough. He has a soothing voice and is handsome - plus, he is pale and has light blond hair. I consider him to be influential and charismatic. His name..."

He stopped talking when he saw my face. I guess my expression said it all. "Johan Liebert", I completed his sentence. "So he is close to Schuwald?" Richard nodded. "That's right. Above that, he has a middle-aged couple that claims to be his parents, but that's not true - they had a son named Johan Liebert, but he died as a toddler, and Johan uses his identity to cover his own."

I took a deep breath. Now this was some news. "Richard..." I sighed. "Be careful. He probably knows who you are and might target you. As you said, he is charismatic, but he is incredibly manipulative as well. Please be cautious with him. Do not talk to him."

He laughed. "Don't worry, Helene. I'll observe him for now and won't act spontaneously. I don't want him to get suspicious of me, either." Then, he changed the topic. "By the way, I might be able to see my daughter!" Dr. Reichwein and I looked at him in astonishment. He grinned happily. "That means she might be able to forgive me for what I've done. And I won't disappoint her. I want to be the best version of myself, the best father for her..." He looked towards the ground. "You will be, Richard", Dr. Reichwein answered. "You're sober now and fought hard against your addiction. You can be proud of yourself." "I agree", I added, trying to encourage Richard. Seeing him so hopeful was a delight, truly.

Time passed by too fast. Those three hours we spent together fehlt like one hour at most. When the three of us stood in the hallway to say goodbye, Richard observed my face. He must have noticed that I had been feeling uncomfortable ever since we talked about Johan. He grinned once again, trying to cheer me up.

"Come on, Helene. Don't worry about me. I will just observe Johan for now. He can't harm me for that." "Still..." I sighed. I had a bad feeling about this. I wasn't worried about the things Johan knew about me, or what he would do to me if I kept following him around, but... "I can't look away when I'm worried for my friends." Richard laid a hand on my shoulder. "I have a suggestion. Tomorrow before noon, I will follow Johan around because he's working at the orphanage tomorrow. Once I'm done, I'll call you right away. Is that alright?" I nodded, pouting slightly. "... Alright. Get home safe, Richard." He seemed contented with my answer and said goodbye, then disappeared into the night until Dr. Reichwein and I only saw a glimpse of his silhouette.

"I see you have built a close friendship to him", Dr. Reichwein said with a faint smile. I nodded happily.
"Yes. He has become very important to me."

Little did I know that was the last time I'd see him.