Chapter 20: The Phantom

"Good evening, young lady."

I didn't dare look at him at first, but couldn't hold back my curiosity. The moment I heard his voice, I knew it was him, even without having heard it ever before. I turned my head carefully. And indeed, Johan was a handsome young man - pale skin, light blonde, perfectly styled hair, wearing a clean suit, and his eyes were so captivating that they seemed almost unreal to me, making me shiver slightly. Despite my state of mine, I smirked, keeping up my act and playing with my blonde ponytail. I felt a mixture of excitement and victory - because I was finally able to meet him. With my eyes, I scanned his figure in the darkness, then finally answered him.

"You don't look like you want to do business here."

He leaned back in his chair, watching the numerous people in the red light district with me, a faint smile on his face. "That means we're the same. You don't look like you're working here, either."

He had me with that. Still, he wasn't showing a sign of threatening me, even it he knew I was merely dressed up as a prostitute. Did he even know who I actually was? I knew what he was capable of, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

"So, young lady, where are you from? Are you a local?"

"No", I answered. I supposed lying to him was a bad idea. "I'm not. And I won't stay here in Munich for long." "Where are you from, then?", he asked, and our eyes met. "Let me guess... perhaps East Germany?"

I was taken aback by his question. "I-" He smiled. "So I was right, then. I could hear it in your accent. But don't worry, I don't mean it in a condescending manner. I'm from there, too."

I knew that, of course. But I was excited to know how much he himself would tell me about his past. "Interesting", I commented. "From which city are you?" "From Berlin. I lived there with a couple for a while. But before I moved in with them, I lived in an orphanage. Do you know of that notorious orphanage in East Berlin?" "I'm not familiar with them", I answered. His facial expression shifted from a smile to a much grimmer expression.
"511 Kinderheim."

That name rang a bell, but I couldn't grasp what exactly I was remembering. And even if I had any knowledge of that place, I bet it wasn't very much except the common knowledge of this orphanage. "I might have heard the name before", I told Johan, "but I'm not well-acquainted with those institutions. Maybe because I'm not an actual Berliner." "That's true. You are from Potsdam." "Exactly. And I want to let go of my past. That means leaving East Germany behind me." I took a sip of the drink I had placed on the table. Maybe I should keep the drink in my hand. At least as long as I'm talking to him. Who knows what he's up to.

"511 Kinderheim was like hell on earth", Johan continued. "They tried to make us soldiers. The special thing about our orphanage was that we weren't supervised by the ministry of health, but by the ministry of the interior. Interesting you've never heard of it before." He stood up from the chair, adjusting his suit jacket. "Unfortunately, I have to leave. I still have something I must do." He smiled politely. "I hope you don't take it amiss that I kept talking about a topic you have no knowledge about. That wasn't polite of me." I shook my head. "It's fine." "That's relieving to hear. I just thought..."
He made a short pause. "I just thought you might know something about 511 Kinderheim. You were well-acquainted with the state's system, after all. I wonder how much you must have known... you must have been incredibly capable. That would explain your wealth, at least."

I tensed at his words. He leaned back his head with a faint smile on his face, looking towards the night sky.

"I can't help but wonder... how does it feel to be a traitor?"

With these words, he left the place and disappeared in the next street, ignoring all the women approaching him. He left as fast as he appeared, like a phantom fading back into the darkness. His voice felt like electricity, sending vibrations through my body. Finally, I looked down at my hands - which were shaking heavily.