Chapter 5 : The Raichand Family

As I entered the house Maa could sense my excitement to tell them about my result. "Kriti! Kya baat hai aaj itni khush kyu lag rahi ho?" (What is it that made you so happy? You look so happy today)

"Maa, aaj toh aap bahut khush honge pucho kyu? (Today you are going to be happy too ask me why?)
"Kyu beta what is it ? (Why my child)
"Aapki beti class mein first aayi hai !!!"
(Your daughter [Kritika] stood first in class!!!)

"Wowww baby! I am so proud of you ! What about your other three friends?"
"Ritesh and Manav scored really well.
And Kiara stood second in class."

"That's really nice. Congratulations to Kiara."
"Not really, Ritesh was telling me that Uncle ji is very particular about Ki's academic performance. So I am a bit worried about her."
"Don't worry nothing bad will happen. Did you tell your Dad about this?"
"No Maa, waise bhi I know how he is going to react."
"Yes beta but you have to tell him."
"Papa! Papa!"
"Yes beta what is it?"
"Papa, I stood first in class!"
"Good beta but never forget, don't be overconfident. Stay grounded. Nahi toh aaj first aane ke baad padhai karna chhod dogi toh baad mein rank nahi mila paogi. Study hard."
(Otherwise now that you have stood first you will leave studying and then you won't be able to score rank again.)

"See, I knew he would say this. Why doesn't he just say good and end it there. Why to say all this ?"

Meanwhile…

Ding Dong!

"Arey Ritesh tum yaha iss vakt?" (Ritesh what are you doing here at this hour?"
"Aunty ji Ki kaha hai? Mein kab se use call kar raha hoon. ( Aunty where is Kiara? I have been trying to reach her for so long.)
"She is in her bedroom. Why don't you go and check?"
"Ki, open the door it's me Ritesh."
"Come in Ritesh."
"Ki, what is this ? Why aren't you answering my calls?"
"I don't feel like talking to anyone. Dad is disappointed, that's why I didn't want to waste time."
"Ki, Uncle ji made you go to extra classes. What is the big deal? You stood second, it's not like you aren't a ranker right?"
Kiara scoffed and said, "It does matter. Because if it didn't matter then you could have congratulated me too after you were done congratulating Kritika."
"Ki, I am sorry. I didn't know it would matter so much. Moreover I didn't congratulate you because I brought you something for doing so well."
"What is it?"
"Remember the bracelet that you wanted the other day while we were shopping?"
"Yeah, the one that was out of stock."
"Yup, but now it wasn't so I bought one for you as a gift."
"Wow ! Ritesh you are the best."
"You will never change will you?
"Don't stress yourself too much. And what if you aren't first this time? There are a lot more exams to come. So cheer up girl!
"Now I have to go, otherwise your aunt won't take me in the house. Bye Ki.
"Bye Ritesh."