Chapter 6

It was the butt crack of dawn when my alarm went off the next morning. I was quick to shut off the annoying sound, not wanting to wake a sleeping Calista on the other side of the room. Covering my face with a pillow, it took all the power within me not to chuck my phone against the dorm room wall. I allowed myself to groan, slapping the pillow down beside me staring up at the ceiling.

What the hell had I gotten myself into?

Not only had I involved myself, once again, with a hockey player–but now I was guaranteed to be forced into the same room as Liam. The thought of breathing the same air as him nauseated me. I closed my eyes, dragging in a deep, calming breath like I had learned when Cali and I frequented puppy yoga sessions when we first became roommates. We used it as a bonding experience, but both of us just really wanted to hang out with puppies.

Internally, I was cussing myself out for agreeing to Hendrix's stupid proposition.

I tried to see things on the bright side. Maybe this ongoing exposure to Liam would help me release the deep-seated anger I felt towards him.

I snorted to myself. Yeah, right. Fuck that guy.

The only thing this would help with was showing Liam just how much I was over him. How much better I was doing without him. Determination washed over me as I lay face up in bed. That's what I was going to do. And Hendrix was going to help me.

Steamrolling out of bed with a new found objective, I grabbed my toiletry bag and headed to the communal washroom down the hall. While most Zeta Tau Alpha girls might have passed out from the thought of using the same amenities as the rest of the floor, I didn't find it much different than how things were in the sorority house.

I was grabbing my keys and ready to leave in about twenty minutes. It didn't take long to swap out of my pajamas and spray some dry shampoo in my pre-done hair from the night before. I even had the energy to swipe on a thin coat of mascara. As I stepped out of the dorm building I wrapped my arms around myself. It was still so dark outside. The only light came from distant lamp posts and wall sconces attached to the dorm building.

The sun showed no signs of rising for the next couple of hours. How was it humane to ask anyone to be up at this time of the day? A gust of wind blew through my hair, making me question why I even bothered to brush it.

Yanking my hood over my head, I began the short trek to my car. I had just rounded the corner of the building when a pair of headlights came barreling into the parking lot. I squinted in their direction, wondering who would be pulling up so early in the morning.

Instead of driving past me like I expected, the black pick-up truck came to a stop right next to me. The driver side window began to roll down, and I was prepared to glare at whoever it was, when Hendrix's grinning face appeared.

"Sorry I'm late," he called over the rumbling of his truck. His sharp jawline was trimmed down to a light stubble. "I had to stop for a couple of things."

I blinked at him–tempted to rub at my eyes to make sure I wasn't dreaming. "Why are you here?"

"To pick you up for practice," Hendrix said, one hand high up on the steering wheel. He made it sound as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

I gestured towards where my car was parked, keys jingling in my hands. "I was going to drive myself."

"I can't have my girlfriend driving herself to my hockey practice now, can I?" He raised a humored eyebrow at me, waving me over. "Hop in."

After a long pause, I sighed and trudged around the vehicle to the passenger side. It took me a moment to open the heavy door and climb up, but once I did I was enveloped in warmth and the nutty scent of coffee.