Chapter 11

I rolled my bottom lip into my mouth, trying to stop the smile that was threatening to erupt onto my face

I rolled my bottom lip into my mouth, trying to stop the smile that was threatening to erupt onto my face. Hendrix's name caused a rush of images of the other night to flood my sleep-deprived mind. Even as I sat in the quaint café, I remembered how his thick fingers splayed across my stomach a few nights prior. The thin fabric of his borrowed t-shirt barely acted as a barrier between us. His chest pressed to my back, heat seeping into my skin. The lethal combination of warmth and the comfort of his bed had lulled me into a fit-less sleep within minutes.

A tingly feeling skittered through my body. It was odd how the college hockey player appeared in my life at the right moment. Almost like it was fate that brought us together. Hendrix was one of the good ones. And I was sure he was going to make someone very happy one day.

I brushed some hair behind my ear, placing my phone face-down on the table. I hadn't mentioned Hendrix and I sharing his bed to anyone–not even Olivia. The last thing I needed was for either Cali or Harper to use it as a scapegoat against processing what had happened the other night. I had yet to discuss the situation with my therapist, but I was sure she would argue that I had used Hendrix to deflect.

I wasn't even going to argue. Hell, I had every right.

Seeking comfort from my fake boyfriend after one of my best friends almost got shot by her boyfriend's drug addict father wasn't on this year's bingo card.

The clinking of coffee cups brought me back to the hustle and bustle of the Rise n' Grind. The three of us sat at a round table on the far side of the room. It was nice to take a break from the hustle and bustle of college life to sit with a couple of friends for a light brunch. After the week we'd had, I suggested we take a little morning to ourselves. Cali didn't protest. The shadow under her usually bright brown eyes told me everything. I knew she was having a hard time sleeping. I would too if I saw the barrel of a gun every time I closed my eyes.

Cali inhaled the dark scent of caffeine rising from her too-big mug. Her pale hands were clasped around it like it was her lifeline. Harper and I shared a glance.

"Are you sure you don't want some tea instead?" I probed. "Something to help you sleep?"

"Sleep?" Cali muttered into her drink. "What's that?"

She took a long sip. Steam whisked passed her cheek. I winced, imagining the searing, black liquid burning a trail down my own throat. Calista was a caffeine addict on her best days. But this was a step past that.

"Have you and Lincoln had a chance to go and speak with someone yet?" Harper asked, twirling the string of her black hoodie around her finger.

Cali's cup met the saucer with a light clank. "You mean a therapist?"

Harper and I nodded in-sync.

"I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon. It was the earliest I could get. I'm trying to convince Lincoln to take advantage of student services and to go and see someone."