Chapter Ten

And most of all, Séraphine wished that walking down the corridor, she didn't see Catherine Lewis coming out of the Undercroft. A mischievous smile on her face as Sebastian was no doubt still inside. Ominis' relatively easy going demeanor turned deadly. He stiffened, sensing her presence with his wand.

Frown lines appeared, his eyebrows scrunching forward. "Did you just come from the Undercroft? How did you get in there?"

Catherine chose to play dumb. "That room's called 'the Undercroft?' Ah. Well, I was exploring and suddenly found myself in a strange passageway-"

"Don't lie to me. No one 'stumbles' upon that room. Sebastian told you, didn't he?" Ominis snarled, his fists clenching by his side. He pointed at her, "You breathe a word about this place to anyone and not even your precious Professor Fig will be able to help you. My father is friends with the Headmaster. I'm not afraid to exploit that connection if I need to."

Séraphine had heard enough. Shoving Catherine to the side with a wave of her hand, she opened door leading to the Undercroft. "I've got a-how you say-bloody wanker in need of a good arse kicking. He'll see you back in the dormitory tonight. Leave it to me."

She let her rage and frustration consume her. He was in for a rude awakening.

Selfish Desperation

The black iron gate was thrown open with another wave of her hand, but this time her undeniable anger made the casting forceful enough for the gate to break of its hinges. The clanging noise echoed throughout the room, catching his attention.

"Bloody-" Sebastian was standing in the middle of the Undercroft, the words caught in his throat when he saw her fuming expression, "Ah...Oh no."

Séraphine strolled up to him, brandishing her wand. "What were you thinking, you imbécile?! The Undercroft? Her?"

"I was trying to get her to trust us more-She's got some sort of magic that I've never even read about." Sebastian countered, eyeing her wand. "It could help, Anne."

She rolled her eyes, "This is neither here nor that. Ominis trusted you with the secret of the Undercroft and you didn't even consult either of us about this."

"Curing Anne is everything." Sebastian's anger flared, closing the distance as he gazed down at her, "If I can figure out what type of magic she can wield, then...then it's something. None of us have come close to finding a way to help my sister."

That stung.

"Sebastian, we can't trust her." Séraphine snapped, gesturing towards the door. "She used that magic to break my arm and pretended it was an accident. Did you forget about that?!"

He clenched his jaw, "No, but Anne-"

"Will you shut up?" She pointed at him, her finger hitting his chest as she articulated each word carefully, "The. Undercroft. Wasn't. Your. Secret. To. Share."

The flames overhead grew as both of their tempers soared.

"Ominis would understand." He said with finality.

Séraphine choked out a laugh, repeating his words in her native tongue mockingly, "Ominis comprendrait. You're absolutely correct. He would. He'd let it slide because unlike you, Ominis takes other people into consideration. He'd understand that you are so blinded by your desperation to cure your twin sister, that you'd give up all your morals and that code of honor you used to stand by. He'd understand as I do that you're so afraid of losing more people close to you, that you'd step on anyone to cure her. Because you're selfish and a complete imbécile for allowing someone like Catherine to know about the Undercroft." Séraphine let out a string of French curse words, backing away from him, "I don't even recognize you anymore."