Chapter Eleven

Sebastian's rested his hands behind his head, gazing up at her with blatant lust. If she wasn't so serious, she'd probably have blushed. Instead, a yawn escaped her because as much as she was angry, she was also tired. "Get some rest, Séraphine. And while you're in bed tonight, do keep thinking about my tongue. I'm quite talented with it."

Rolling her eyes, she got off him, "I'm serious, Sebastian."

"I know." He winked, "And so am I. No complaints so-OOF."

He flinched as she stepped on his leg. "Oops. We're all a bit clumsy sometimes..." She mimicked Catherine's words from earlier with a warning also present in her voice. "That goes for her too. If she does anything to put any of us in mortal peril, Sebastian... I won't hold back."

Sebastian didn't look the least bit concerned. "You won't have to worry about that. If she hurts you again..." He stood up, dusting off his trousers. Then he leant down to place a surprisingly light kiss against the side of her head. "...I'll kill her. Now go get some rest, Séra."

The French witch was too shocked by his action and his words, mindlessly heading towards the exit. The iron gate rested haphazardly on the floor, but she'd leave it for Sebastian to fix. Her words weren't working right now.

She could still feel his lips against the side of her head.

She could still feel the disappointment, wishing they were pressed against her lips instead.

And she could still feel the weight of his words heavy in the air.

If Catherine hurt her, he'd kill her.

A Letter of Damnation

Séraphine entered the Headmasters office the next morning with a small frown. She'd been pulled out of her N.E.W.T. Transfiguration course whilst Sebastian and Ominis were likely goofing off in the Great Hall during their break in between classes. The Ravenclaw had sent them a letter in the form of a charmed origami raven, detailing that she'd be headed to Professor Black's Office.

He was sitting behind his desk with a quill in hand. A new peacock feather from the looks of it. The headmaster glanced up with a smile, seeing her.

"Ah! Miss Rosier. Good timing. Your parents reached out asking if you could attend a party at their house tonight. All the arrangements have already been made." He informed her, handing her with the Rosier family seal. La rose. It was a burgundy rose with pure gold shimmering between the petals.

Séraphine reached forward, cautiously opening up the letter. "I have classes tomorrow. I can't be out late attending a party. Surely they'll understand my absence."

"Nothing you can't make up with how bright of a witch you are." Headmaster Black waved at her dismissively, "There will be a carriage out front for you."

She said nothing, glancing down at the letter. The scent of French roses drifted up from the letter, making her stomach turn with anxiety and dread.

La Petite Rose,

Tonight will be the night you choose your future mari. Your dress will be waiting on your bed. Your mother and I do not want to hear any complaints from you. It is almost the 20th century, we have been more than fair in waiting for you to make a decision about marriage. All other witches your age have been promised years ago.