Chapter Seventeen

"I'm telling you with the hope you'll keep an eye on her." Not only were the Professor's eyes serious and filled with caution, but his voice was too. "In the Restricted Section, there are books dealing with immortality and how to make someone live forever. Now, this can be accomplished by severing your soul and placing it into different objects."

Séraphine vaguely recalled her parents discussing it over dinner one night with the Gaunts. It was something she'd have to bring up to Ominis too. "Comme c'est terrible. You're talking about a Horcrux, aren't you Professor?"

"I wish you didn't realize what I was talking about." He frowned, crossing his arms. "I'm assuming your parents?"

"And the Gaunts. They were only discussing it though." Séraphine bit the inside of her cheek, mulling it over. "It was a mistake to let her into Hogwarts. She's not a good witch. She's going to hurt someone."

Professor Sharp nodded gravely, "Be careful, Séraphine. I used to get these bad feelings as an Auror, whenever someone would get hurt or when I thought people were going to die. With you here... I'm afraid that feeling is irrefutable. Something bad is bound to happen. Don't find yourself alone with her."

Séraphine nodded and after a few minutes the conversation changed back into him giving her advice about how to use the Phoenix Tears in the Restoration potion and the best way to prepare it. In the back of her mind, she felt increasingly uneasy.

Catherine was up to something. She wanted more power. She wanted more knowledge on Dark magic. What Séraphine needed to figure out was if she was able to retrieve the book or books she wanted.

To do that... Séraphine would have to get close to Catherine.

.

Building Tension

Professor Sharp left before the sun rose, but Séraphine was still hunched over a potions textbook when light filtered through the windows with the early morning promise of dawn. It must have been after six in the morning.

Her eyes were starting to get heavier as the words blurred. Her vision becoming unfocused as the previous night's events had finally settled in and caught up to her, causing a weariness to spread through her. Séraphine placed her head on the textbook, thinking to herself. She closed her eyes.

Horcruxes. She barely knew anything about them. There ought to be books in the Restricted Section she could find and try to get ahead of Catherine. Was this what she wanted to talk to Sebastian about last night? Tempt him with Dark magic knowing he'd do anything for his sister even if it meant losing his soul?

"She looks like an angel."

The quiet voice belonged to someone younger. A first year?

Someone hushed the boy nearby. This time it belonged to a girl. "She's always around Sallow or Gaunt, right? Go get one of them. Poor thing looks exhausted."

Séraphine must have fallen asleep because when she woke up again, she was being carried. Her head turned as the riddle filtered through the air, and she could hear someone quietly swear.

"What is always in front of you, but can't be seen?" The statue inquired.

Sebastian was silent, thinking. She looked up, startled as he'd taken that opportunity to look down at her and their faces were close.