Chapter 2

Chapter 2

In the Dean of Students Affairs' cabin, two families sat in silence. Jayesh, Priya's legal guardian, kept his head lowered, while Sudhir and Shipra, Priya's parents, were on his left. Across from them sat an irritable-looking woman who continuously muttered curses directed at them and their daughter.

The two students in question, Priya and Rajat, stood quietly behind their respective families.

The Dean of Students cleared his throat and moved closer to the table, resting his interwoven hands on its surface.

"Mr. Tarafdar," he began, addressing Jayesh, "we never expected this from Priya. She's known for her calm, composed demeanor and polite behavior. She possesses the potential to secure one of the best job offers through our college placements. However, after learning the truth, we feel betrayed." Professor Sen's tone held disappointment. "I hope you understand the gravity of the situation."

Jayesh, taken aback by his daughter's actions, kept his head low, nodding in response to the Dean's words.

"And Mrs. Kapur," Sen turned to Rajat's mother, "your son is not without fault either. He shares equal responsibility for his actions. He's not a child who can be easily swayed by Priya into participating in something immoral."

"My son could never engage in such behavior," she retorted sharply, her gaze fixated on Priya before continuing with a vehement tone. "It's this girl. She manipulated my son into all of this. She's the one at fault and she should face the consequences." She slumped back in her chair, visibly agitated. "Can you believe a girl from a respectable family would carry condoms and alcohol in her bag?" She clasped her hands together and nodded her head fervently, seeking forgiveness from a higher power.

"This is a professional college, Mrs. Kapur," Professor Sen retorted firmly. "We're here to provide students with the education and training they need for their futures, and we also expect them to uphold basic moral values." He shifted his gaze to the students in question. "We're not in the business of being jailers for these young adults, most of whom are legally considered adults. Our role is to ensure discipline, and your son has indeed violated that."

"But you didn't find anything on him," Rajat's mother swiftly defended her son. "All the evidence was found on her. She ensnared my son."

Shipra, Priya's mother, lost her patience for the first time and moved to defend her daughter, but Jayesh's silent gesture restrained her. That simple motion was enough to halt her in her tracks.

"What transpired is not solely attributed to Tripura but to both of these students," Professor Sen asserted, his patience wearing thin. He raised his hand, signaling for the woman to cease her interruptions. "I am not here to pass moral judgment. My purpose is to inform both families about the misdeeds of your wards and the disciplinary action the institute has decided to take."

"You can't punish my son. Punish her. Expel her!" Rajat's mother, unable to contain herself, left her seat and moved aggressively toward Priya. Jayesh, acting swiftly, stepped in to shield his daughter. "Ma'am, I urge you to maintain decorum and peace. Under no circumstances you are touching my daughter," he firmly declared, his gaze reflecting his frustration.

"Mrs. Kapur!" Sen's voice boomed, resonating throughout the room. "Put an end to this irrational behavior. Rajat, control your mother," he commanded. Rajat exchanged words with his mother, prompting her to return to her seat.

"You two..." Professor Sen presented two envelopes to Priya and Rajat. "You are suspended for a week and barred from participating in the college excursion."