Chapter 5

Dearest Readers,

This story is going to pick up the pace and I have plans with this one. Please do show some love to this one too, like you shower love on Love Demands All.

Love

NB

Chapter 5

PRIYA

I was only on the fourth page of the morning newspaper when Meera walked in with her trolley.

"Good morning," she said, giving me a side hug. "So, what does your news say?" Meera sat on the couch, clearly seeking my full attention.

"This should be my question, not yours." I sat in front of her, our eyes locked in a silent exchange.

Yesterday, when I received a call from Jayesh Uncle, informing me about Meera's sudden visit, I sensed that something was afoot. For the past four years, my family had persistently urged me to return to India, and each time, I had used Raghav as my excuse. His school and chess had been my shield. But on this summer morning in January, as Meera walked in, it became clear that my family's demands had not waned. This time, I needed to devise a new plan.

"Hmm," Meera sighed as she ran her hands over her face. "I'm sure you can guess why I'm here."

"And you already know my answer. No," I replied, returning to my newspaper.

"For how long will you keep Raghav away from his own family, from his father? Do you know what Ram does these days? He needs to be in touch with Raghav," Meera began the same familiar argument.

"I couldn't care less about what he does. He was a Casanova, and people don't change. For the last time, Raghav doesn't need a father; his mother is enough for him," I said, my anger coursing through my veins.

"Did he care to respond even once when I was pregnant with Raghav? How many times I wanted to reach him, but he chose to remain distant, vanishing into thin air. Now, I read about him and his escapades on social media. Did he ever try to contact me? Did he ever attempt to know how I was?" I continued my lament, my voice trembling. "I went to his father, but what did he do? He asked me to leave. According to him, leaving his son would be the right decision. He refused to listen to me, even when I was carrying Raghav." Tears streamed down my cheeks as I spoke.

Raghav's voice brought me back to the present. I quickly composed myself and turned to greet him. "Good morning, love," I said, extending my arms. He rushed towards me, embracing me warmly.

"My son," I looked at Meera with an undeniable possessiveness. "My son," I reiterated.

"Hey, Meera Aunty," Raghav continued to welcome her with a hug. This boy undoubtedly inherited all of Ram Kapoor's genes. There's hardly any trace of me in him. He's gradually beginning to resemble his father more and more, with all those Punjabi genes evident in his nine-year-old frame.

"Raghav, do you like being here alone?" Meera knelt down to ask him.

"Don't, Meera," I warned her.

"No, you stay out of this. He also needs to have a family. He has one, but you're keeping him away from it. There's nothing he won't have there," Meera exclaimed in a shrill voice before turning her attention back to my son.

"Raghav, do you like being here with just your Maa?" She asked my child.

"Maa is great, but I miss Nanu, Jayesh Nanu, and Nani. I miss you too, Meera aunty. But I have my school and chess here. How can I be there?" Raghav's response brought a smile to my face.